fly tyers meeting (Albany Fly Tiers Expo March 10-11)

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Wondering if there will be a pacific northwest fly tyers rendezvous this year. In the past this event was held in Portland near the air base. I called Fly fishing outfitters in NE Portland but they haven't heard anything. Anyone have news on this?

Paul_

Life of the Party
This was from their Facebook Page dated March 2020-
Well folks, we had a good run. After about 20 years, the Rendezvous as it exists now has ceased to exist. The Fly Fishing Arts & Conservation Society is dissolving. We are filing the paperwork with the state of Oregon after there was nobody willing to serve on the Board of Directors anymore. The event may be picked up by another entity. I sure hope so. I was involved for 13 years and really enjoyed knowing everyone. See you around, I hope. - Robin Healy

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well that's it then for that show.....too bad. It was enjoyable and fun. Now I'm wondering about the annual March show in Albany. Hope it is continued. I've attended that event for many years including when it was held at the fairgrounds in Eugene. My buddies and I would combine that with a trip to fish March Browns on the McKenzie. Might just be a memory filed away as the "good old days"

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Yeah, ran into a couple of guys at east lake with their expo shirts on. They confirmed that it was on again. Should be fun.

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
A quick visit to Google and I just learned this event is indeed back on and its on March 10 and 11, at the Linn Co. fairgrounds in Albany. Now that is really good news... I'll be there.
Not the same event.

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Understood....the Portland event in November is gone, the March event in Albany is on again and this is the one to which I was referring. I enjoyed both and am glad to have at least one of them back.
We will be headed down to checkout the show in Albany, several major brands were friends with who have attended east coast shows this years for fly tying have said there was a huge resurgence of participation. We're hoping that will be the same here in the PNW!

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
From the beginnings in Eugene to the current event in Albany, the Expo has always been well worth a look see for anyone into fly tying or fly fishing.

When the Expo was held in Eugene, we too would do some demonstration fly tying during the morning sessions then head over to the McKenzie or Willamette for the MB hatch. Those were indeed "the good ol' days".

Blue Lines

Steelhead
I haven’t taken up tying yet (I know, I know…) but am interested in the event. Those that have gone in the past, is there general fly fishing content here or is it dedicated to the art of tying only?

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
LOTS of fly tying. I'm guessing that someone not interested in fly-tying might very well not get too much enjoyment out of attending. I could be wrong..............