Fly ID Help Please?

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I'm learning to fish lakes again and have the privilege of fishing a private lake that some members of a couple of local fly clubs have created a partnership to stock. Tuesday I was trolling a beadhead black & red SimiSeal leech on an intermediate line with no results when I got to a spot about 50' from shore that my fish finder's alarm was going crazy painting many-many fish from 6'-15' below me. Following the protocol that I think Tim Lockhart's book suggests I reeled up the leech and grabbed my other rod rigged with a type IV and this fly I had picked at random to strip in while stationary.
20230504_104120.jpg
20230504_104337.jpg
After a couple of casts and counting down to ~15' I had a strong grab from this fish with most of my line in the stripping apron that put up a terrific tussle.
20230502_113651.jpg
He was hooked in the upper lip and the fly popped out in the net so I was glad I kept a tight line. After snapping a quick photo I let it recover in the net, then turned the net over for a no-touch release. Then I logged the catch but didn't know what the name of the fly is. The fly got mangled on subsequent fish though.

It's simple and I can easily tie up more, making it more durable but my OCD wants to know, what is the name of the fly, and what does it imitate?

Thanks in advance!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

ROGERS REAPER LAKE NYMPH?

https://thetroutspot.com/products/rrln
Just did a google image search.
I haven't used a Google Lens image search before. Funny, when I tried it with the first pic all I got was pictures of mayflies and caddis flies until I added the word "lake" to the search. Rogers Reaper and Denny's Callebaetis minus the mono eyeslook a lot like it.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I haven't used a Google Lens image search before. Funny, when I tried it with the first pic all I got was pictures of mayflies and caddis flies until I added the word "lake" to the search. Rogers Reaper and Denny's Callebaetis minus the mono eyeslook a lot like it.
It's a good looking fly, I'll work up a couple up to try.

Reactions: Zak

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
The eyes appear to be the only difference. At first I thought it was a Denny’s Callabaetis nymph. Nice job.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The eyes appear to be the only difference. At first I thought it was a Denny’s Callabaetis nymph. Nice job.
It does look like Denny's nymph as well. Except for the eyes, yes.