Fly fishing podcasts?

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For those of you who might get alot of windshield time like I, it's nice to throw on a 1-4 hour podcast. Been recently diving into fyfishing podcasts. Can't say I'm blown away so far. Although I'm not saying it's easy to do a prolonged podcast on fishing day after day.

I've done troutbitten, which is decent. I've done flyfishfood podcast, it has its moments. Orvis podcast I haven't given enough time to comment.
Alot of this is geared to beginner stuff, which I am in that catagory. But it would be nice to find something catered to a more veteran audience also.

Any of you guys have some good recommendations?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Young Guides is pretty good, as is Captain's Collective.

Others are Fly Fish Food, The Saltwater Edge, The Wild Fly, and Bent. But those are updated much less frequently.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I have mixed feelings. I tend not to read much new stuff and the world is full of people who claim to know more about fly fishing than there is to know about fly fishing.

If I was planning a vacation to someplace I had no knowledge of I might listen to some, but my vacations aren't adventures anymore, I am just going to visit places that are old friends.

Maybe I view fishing too simply but I honestly think that's the most effective and enjoyable ways to fish.
To get me to listen or read, get the old guys on there, but most of them are long gone..

The golden age of fly fishing was the 50s-70s. Now it's just taken over by loud mouthed and self promoting. Doesn't mean their bad guys, and many of them I like but that doesn't change what they are..

The guys you have never heard of are the ones to listen to.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Orvis fly fishing guide podcast with Tom is the only one I have given any time. He's laid back, doesn't take things too seriously, usually some good info. Some others seem like they are trying to hard to brand themselves.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I tend to agree that many now seem to be all about self promotion & product placement to keep their free shit flowing....but it seems to be more of an IG thing there.

For podcasts, I too like much of the Orvis content with Tom. Being a musky guy, I also really like SVS Fishing, which is predominantly musky oriented and they don't take themselves too seriously. I do like some of the Wet Fly Swing saltwater content.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I only listen to podcasts at night before bed so i dont hear the clowns. I listen to guitar podcasts though. This entire post was completely useless

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Ask About Fly Fishing (Roger Maves) is pretty longstanding and has a fairly sizable archive of authors, guides, fly tyers, etc. for anyone newer or unfamiliar.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Not strictly fly fishing, but if this forum were a podcast it might be Cut and Retie, which rose from the ashes of the Bent podcast, which was also good. That and the Drake podcast (which is very sporadic) are the only fishing podcasts I can stomach for more than 15 minutes.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
River Rambler. Low key, not technical, NOT selling anything. More like a campfire hangout session than a produced podcast. More steelhead/spey focused but lots of everything. Rick is about the nicest guy I've shared a campfire with and this feels a lot like that.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I like the Mill House podcast; Andy Millhouse interviews a lot of the old timers from the old Florida tarpon days, some interesting stories in there.

Millsfly

Steelhead
Another vote for Cut and Retie, Joe C is the man and if anything, it has hilarious moments

The Drakecast just added a couple new shows

Down the Path by WIll Rice has three spectacular seasons about hijinks that happened to fishermen in the Bahamas, Mexico and Belize.

Another vote for River Rambler

Anchored with April Vokey. Some of the earlier episodes have some real top notch guests including Joan Wulf

While not specific to fishing, the BHA podcast and blast with Hal Herring is killer for conservation issues

Fishing stories by Rep Your Water

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks fellas. Give me plenty to root through. Started some young guides yesterday. Listening to fly fishing dan episode, who I watch on YouTube.

I like a calming vibe when driving. Helps me catch up on sleep while I'm driving. Hehe. (Only reason I would get a tesla lol)

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The Fin and Fire Podcasts with Jeff Mishler are pretty dang good. Not all of his are fly fishing related so you need to cherry pick through them. I have run into Jeff a few times while fly fishing on the Oregon Coast - he's a good dude. https://finandfire.podbean.com/

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Based on same (IMHO) quality recommendations here, I’ve checked out a few episodes of River Rambler now, and enjoyed them. I like the in depth, broad ranging conversation style. NOT fishing technical. There’s a good episode on there with this guy Mark, kinda funny last name but definitely seems like a guy I’d enjoy a beverage with. 😁🍻

Millsfly

Steelhead
Based on same (IMHO) quality recommendations here, I’ve checked out a few episodes of River Rambler now, and enjoyed them. I like the in depth, broad ranging conversation style. NOT fishing technical. There’s a good episode on there with this guy Mark, kinda funny last name but definitely seems like a guy I’d enjoy a beverage with. 😁🍻
some dork named Josh is on there for an episode....