Flashlight LED upgrade

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I found this cool OG Petzl headlamp for three bucks at Value Village. It had an incandescent bulb in it that was dim. I tried an led bulb that wasn't much of an improvement, and then one from torchupgrades.com that is really bright. Thought I'd pass it along if you are looking to revitalize an old flashlight or headlamp.

PXL_20230316_045425959.jpg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I had one of those in blue. It might be still kicking around somewhere. If the elastic is dead, it at least has the top strap. Those were the shiznit when they were new to the market.

Reactions: Zak

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
I did the same thing with a big maglite that I had kicking around

Reactions: Zak

SurfnFish

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
yep, converted all my C and D Maglites to Led bulbs..big diff
in 80' put in a stint as the swing shift stationary engineer at the Transamerica Pyramid in SF, had to shut down a second bld two blocks away every evening at 10pm...on the advice of a beat cop in the area, made that walk to and from the Pyramid with four D cell Maglite in hand = weighted baton at the ready
As to lights...being young and fit, was tasked with changing the aviation light on the very top of the Pyramid. 200 zig zag ladder steps up the hollow nacelle with replacement light assembly on shoulder...the module at the top swung down for service, so was able to stick my head through the opening and look around...awesome view
1678991955502.jpeg

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
in 80' put in a stint as the swing shift stationary engineer at the Transamerica Pyramid in SF, had to shut down a second bld two blocks away every evening at 10pm...on the advice of a beat cop in the area, made that walk to and from the Pyramid with four D cell Maglite in hand = weighted baton at the ready
As to lights...being young and fit, was tasked with changing the aviation light on the very top of the Pyramid. 200 zig zag ladder steps up the hollow nacelle with replacement light assembly on shoulder...the module at the top swung down for service, so was able to stick my head through the opening and look around...awesome view
View attachment 58028
That must have been incredible!

Smith

Steelhead
View attachment 58028
This makes me queasy just reading it.