Fishing the Miyawaki Beach Popper

Pipeman

Freshly Spawned
We're going over to Lake Omak next week. Think that I will give it a try there, too.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Richard Stoll in his book explains exactly why the Leland Popper is so attractive to coho and searun cutthroat. He bases some of it more on science and the biological factors of fish sight. At one time I had good success with a 6 weight, 7-8 foot leader on a SA 6wt WF steelhead taper floater on the sound for SRC’s with a quick jerky retrieve. Maybe I should go back to that next time 😉. Got kinda caught on a reverse spider kick for a bit.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I should add. When your not fishing for the freezer fill, you experiment more. You think about the fish, the water, the presentation, the bait or fly, etc. I don’t know, but if I find success and continued success with something I tend to eventually move away from it, trying new things, including water destinations, flies, lines (depths, etc). Maybe it’s just me but I will get bored fishing the same way, same water, for the same fish especially if finding lots of success, now keeping that in mind I don’t find continues success that often but have in some places. ( Not so much lately….🤪..).

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
When i first moved to WA I dropped by the Orvis shop (then in Bellevue). Knowing zero about SRC or coho on the fly, I went into the shop, hung around for a bit, and chatted with a somewhat taciturn but super knowledgeable guy. I think they were doing a “cigar and scotch” event. The guy managing the fishing department seemed to really enjoy the cigars - def not my jam but i did get to sample a few scotch options so that was cool.

The guy provided a few suggestions on fly patterns, techniques, and types of water to focus on, though he didn’t specifically point out the poppers or over share locations. Another of the shop employees walked past and said “and DEFINITELY get a few of the miyawaki poppers.”

I bought a bunch of flies including a few of the poppers, rigged up a b2x 9’6” 6 weight, went to a beach that i don’t think is particularly productive for SRC because i was too lazy to follow the advice of the fishing shop manager to focus more on south sound, but somehow still managed to catch an SRC on my very first go out - on a popper. It was awesome. I remember catching it within the first 15 minutes and thinking “oh damn this is easy! These fish must just be all over!” Sigh.

I still know close to zero about SRC and coho because i tend to stick to my default setting when i have some time to fish (freshwater, WA/MT) but always appreciated the advice i rcvd and have a bunch of the poppers.

I did’t know it at the time, but that Orvis fishing manager was @Leland Miyawaki and the popper pattern is his.

flybill

Life of the Party
I've fished with Leland for years and still don't fish his popper as effectively as he does. Doesn't matter its fun to watch it and figure it out and when a fish crushes it, you can't help to smile! I vary my strip speed and length.. flet the rod and try to mimic what he does instinctively! We've talked about it many times and I've used ones that he's tied, that I've tied and bought at various shops including Orvis! If you want to find him, or me, just look for the smoke and don't wake him up if he's napping! Ha!! It's always fun to fish the popper and we always catch and release at least one cigar or more... and a few fish if they're actually around!! Cheers! FlyBill

BryanG

Just Hatched
This is definitely a dumb question, but what is the hook setting strategy? I fished the popper last Friday down in Olalla and had a ton of grabs (it was awesome), but most were misses. I know that this is the nature of the beast with this popper (lots of looks/grabs, not all of which are gonna connect) but I feel like I could tighten up my end of the bargain and hook/land more.

flybill

Life of the Party
This is definitely a dumb question, but what is the hook setting strategy? I fished the popper last Friday down in Olalla and had a ton of grabs (it was awesome), but most were misses. I know that this is the nature of the beast with this popper (lots of looks/grabs, not all of which are gonna connect) but I feel like I could tighten up my end of the bargain and hook/land more.
The fish have been small, so that may account for it last week.. and just a light hook set or the fish may hook itself as it attacks the popper.

Good luck! I might head down next Monday morning, depending on the tides...

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Strip set. That way you aren’t yanking it away. If you strip hard at the boil and the line tightens up then you can lift the rod, but more then likely the strip pinned the hook anyway.

Those little fish at Olalla this time of year will only stay on a #12 hook. My #6 popper are way too large . . .

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
The hookup ratio in the topwater game sucks in my opinion. Lots of action with slashes, follows and misses. It’s great theater if you like watching that type of action.
Some patterns with a static hook position seem to offer a better hook up ratio then other patterns, though still not great.
SF

BryanG

Just Hatched
The hookup ratio in the topwater game sucks in my opinion. Lots of action with slashes, follows and misses. It’s great theater if you like watching that type of action.
Some patterns with a static hook position seem to offer a better hook up ratio then other patterns, though still not great.
SF
Agreed. BUT, I do like Leland's previous comment that you'll know whether there are fish around pretty quickly with the popper.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Yesterday as I was fishing an urban pond i was approached by an older gentleman who said he'd never seen anyone fly fish this pond but himself, and that was just spey practice.

We chatted a bit and he turns out to be Nooksackmac from WFF. He tells me he has not fished since Jan 31 on the sauk and is eyeing my spare rod. I offer it to him, and it is strung up with a beach popper.

About 5 mins of excellent casting (and a questioning of if my line paired properly with my rod) later and up comes an 8" smallie to the popper for Macs first fish of 2022 and first of his 80th trip around the sun.

I implored him to join this site and certainly hope he does. He was exceedingly kind and the stoke he got from that little fish was so cool. Dudes been roping chromers since the 60s and still got a kick out of a tiny pond bass. That's the goods right there as far as I'm concerned.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
No. I’m palmering seven turns of 3” white EP Brush back to forward. It gives me the 360 degree look I always wanted.
Leland
Leland - Are you using just the white EP brush? No more olive? Or do you top the white EP wraps with an olive wing of the IS?

I tried years ago to make some of your poppers but since I was young and poor at the time I was trying to make do with the wrong materials. I'm going to get the right stuff this time and make another run at it!

thanks, andy