Fishing the Miyawaki Beach Popper

Here’s why I fish my Miyawaki Beach Popper off our Puget Sound beaches for searun cutthroat and coho salmon – These fish are always looking to eat especially when they swim close to the shore so I give them a crippled baitfish – one that is struggling slowly on the surface. My primary go to strip is long and slow with an “amphipod hop” while the fly is swinging across the current.

My gear is simple: A 9’ 6wt Sage SP rod; Orvis Mirage LT III reel; Cortland 200 grain Compact Float line; 9’ 1X tapered leader; and my fly which I use close to 100% of the time.

Casting to coho is easy. Cast as straight out as far as you can as often as you can. By far, I mean 50 feet or more. If you can cast all 90’ of your flyline, do it. That’s why I use the Cortland short head.

Casting my fly to searuns takes a bit more finesse. Most of the time, you’re simply fishing the water in the hopes that you and a hungry cutthroat will intersect. It pays to cover the beach. Pick a spot and cast and step your way down the beach. I look for morning tides – flood or ebb it doesn’t matter so long as I get some tidal movement. If there’s a breeze less than 8 mph, all the better. I position myself upwind of my end point and position my back to the wind and wade in mid-calf. If the tide is high I make my first cast 40-50 feet straight down the beach a couple feet off the water’s edge and strip. Imagine that cast was to my 9 o-clock. My next cast is to my 10:30. Finally, I make one to 11 or 12 before taking a few steps down the beach. I have found that the money cast is the one to 10:30 but I have caught my largest trout on the 9 o-clock straight down the beach at high tide. Of course, the reason is because searuns like to move in over food that they otherwise cannot get close to and when there are chum or pink fry around they are usually within inches of the water’s edge. My popper will always bring fish to strike. 100% of the time. No lie. They may not stick but they will always come. It’s in their DNA. They are too predatory not to. If you work the beach as I say and your casting and presentation skills are up to par, you will always know if there are searuns on the beach. Conversely, you will also know if there are no fish. And you know, of course, that they can be here tomorrow.

Leland.

Attachments

• 2020 Popper.jpg
    2020 Popper.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 5:19:10 CUTT.jpg
    5:19:10 CUTT.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 154

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've heard of the miracles of this Miyawaki Beach Popper of which you speak, er, write. I need to tie some more, but it's just hard enough that I find ways to procrastinate.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
It really is a great fly. This past winter I discovered yet another application: swinging it for bull trout in the local rivers. Despite ice in the guides and snow on the banks, bull trout after bull trout exploded on it and it actually spey casts really nicely even on a 5wt single hander. Too much fun.

681B0107-C478-4D28-80F1-28491E3DFAAF.jpeg

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
This past winter I discovered yet another application: swinging it for bull trout in the local rivers.
You know, I've wondered how it would do for that. Though I'd think the foam head would make it annoying to get it down to the bulls?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
:unsure:

this type of stuff HAS to work on the Metolius bulls, right?

DKL

Steelhead
It really is a great fly. This past winter I discovered yet another application: swinging it for bull trout in the local rivers. Despite ice in the guides and snow on the banks, bull trout after bull trout exploded on it and it actually spey casts really nicely even on a 5wt single hander. Too much fun.
Put a downstream mend in your line and let it swing across the current that way, you'll get some explosive takes.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Will the popper float even if I’m using an intermediate line?

Any floating pattern will float for awhile even using a intermediate, but it will eventually sink.
That said, I’ve caught many cutts using a gurgler on my intermediate when I’m too lazy to switch to my floater. The up and down action of the pattern induced while stripping is pretty enticing….
SF

Last edited: