First raft trip

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Good for you. Glad to see you got out and about. I haven’t taken my raft out once, decided to reside our house

I have those issues also lol. Prior to fishing that day, I put in 2 cu yards of gravel for a hot tub pad, dug up 3 tree stumps, worked on the greenhouse, ect.
Work has eliminated time for home projects, so hyper drive to catch up.
But gotta sneak in some water here and there.

BDD

Steelhead
Not sure how I missed this thread and definitely late arriving to the party. Tried to catch up on most of the posts (but certainly missed some) and a lot of the info I might have provided has already been posted by others, which is great. But here is a little more for consideration by the OP.

I hear you regarding the finish of the frame wearing onto the raft...don't like it much either. One of the easy and cheap solutions you already did is put some foam pipe insulation on wear areas. A bottle of cleaner from NRS and some elbow grease also helps. Other than that, the other solution is powder coating the frame, which is not cheap but I do it on some of mine for sure. The good thing is the finish is worst when brand new and wears out after awhile and doesn't remain a big problem over time.

Regarding oar length, it really comes down to personal preference. I talked to a guide today who ordered a boat from us and he wanted oars 6 inches shorter than what we normally provide. I was a little surprised as it usually goes the other way. 7.5' is what most want on the SRB/SRC so that is what we provide. And we are in the same boat (is that literally or figuratively?) regarding access to oars. We just got our pre-season order on Saturday, which was 2 months late and only a portion came in. But guys who have upcoming trips later this month (and me) are ecstatic that they can now at least do their trips.

If you really want some 8 footers, we can trade you for the 7.5s. But we only have two to offer as quantities are limited. Let me know and we can make a swap at your rowing class next month.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not sure how I missed this thread and definitely late arriving to the party. Tried to catch up on most of the posts (but certainly missed some) and a lot of the info I might have provided has already been posted by others, which is great. But here is a little more for consideration by the OP.

I hear you regarding the finish of the frame wearing onto the raft...don't like it much either. One of the easy and cheap solutions you already did is put some foam pipe insulation on wear areas. A bottle of cleaner from NRS and some elbow grease also helps. Other than that, the other solution is powder coating the frame, which is not cheap but I do it on some of mine for sure. The good thing is the finish is worst when brand new and wears out after awhile and doesn't remain a big problem over time.

Regarding oar length, it really comes down to personal preference. I talked to a guide today who ordered a boat from us and he wanted oars 6 inches shorter than what we normally provide. I was a little surprised as it usually goes the other way. 7.5' is what most want on the SRB/SRC so that is what we provide. And we are in the same boat (is that literally or figuratively?) regarding access to oars. We just got our pre-season order on Saturday, which was 2 months late and only a portion came in. But guys who have upcoming trips later this month (and me) are ecstatic that they can now at least do their trips.

If you really want some 8 footers, we can trade you for the 7.5s. But we only have two to offer as quantities are limited. Let me know and we can make a swap at your rowing class next month.
Hi Dave (or I'm assuming Dave lol)

Once I got the oar rights on and was able to really get a feel for rowing, I think I'm fine with the 7.5s. I was able to comfortably row across the lake pretty well. I think I'm happy with them. Hoping to get on some rivers mid to late June, that will be the real test. The lessons, then I have the following week off, I'll be seeking out some water. At minimum, I won't know better anyways lol.

It's crazy that cataract is booked out so far. But I guess it saves me from making snap purchases. But hard to run a business, or try new items when things are 3+ months out.

Scored this table from one of my woodworker customers. I put casters on it. I can easily slide the raft in and out of the truck, and to storage now. Save some wear and tear on the bottom rubber. Doesn't solve me dragging it at the water. But better than nothing. Need to cut the table shorter, easy enough. Should get a trailer for it eventually. And learn to back em up lol.

20230502_191704.jpg

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well I've been shopping for an 8 weight and a 3 weight rod to compliment my 5 weights.
Have ordered the 8 weight reel, will get the rod locally.
I was about to email jp ross on a 3 weight this week.
Boss man must have snooped on my work internet history. He dropped me a sage set up 3/4 weight for putting in hours and moving the company to a new location
Can't complain about that. Probably best I call in sick tomorrow and try it out as a thank you to him haha.
20230510_120323.jpg

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It's time!
Taking the raft out for its maiden river voyage. I'll be shadowing a more experienced person on their raft.
I'm taking my brother, who has never fly fished.
First time river rower, first time fly fisher. Should be a hoot.

Woke up at 430, even though I'm not meeting them till 8.

Thank you all again for your help in preparing.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It was a great time. Long trip, floated from like 945 am to 4 pm. I was happy with my rowing, no issues. Learned alot.
North fork cda was beautiful.
Raft performed great, happy with her.

Didn't get any fish on our boat, the boat we were traveling behind netted 10 or so. I didn't expect to net a bunch, my brother's literal first time fly fishing. He had one on that shook off. I have some looks and one nibble in my short casting time. But I got the rowing experience and confidence I was looking for. Mission accomplished.
Can't wait to get her wet again.

20230520_131815.jpg20230520_130938.jpg20230520_124644.jpg

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It was a great time. Long trip, floated from like 945 am to 4 pm. I was happy with my rowing, no issues. Learned alot.
North fork cda was beautiful.
Raft performed great, happy with her.

Didn't get any fish on our boat, the boat we were traveling behind netted 10 or so. I didn't expect to net a bunch, my brother's literal first time fly fishing. He had one on that shook off. I have some looks and one nibble in my short casting time. But I got the rowing experience and confidence I was looking for. Mission accomplished.
Can't wait to get her wet again.

View attachment 65872View attachment 65873View attachment 65874
I see by the last picture that your Cataracts have the notch on the end of the grips. So simple and a feature that I really like on mine for easy oar orientation without having to look.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I see by the last picture that your Cataracts have the notch on the end of the grips. So simple and a feature that I really like on mine for easy oar orientation without having to look.
You bring up a good point.
I have noticed I liked the notches. But I'm going to really start noting the feel in my hands.
I have oar rights on, and really don't see a reason to take them off at this stage lol, but if I ever do, that's a good way to get some sort of memory to proper orientation.

Overall, I find these handles pretty comfortable.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That water looks great, especially for this time of year. Hope you like the raft.
Yep, love it. I'll be taking her back out on Friday most likely.
I'll get some miles on her between now and fall.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I feel kind of dumb asking this. As my gut says obviously it's not worth the risk.
But I really wanted to go rafting tomorrow. Took a day off from work to do so.
If you guys see a weather report like this, do you stay home?
Decent in the morning. Chance of thunder storms in the afternoon.

Am I a dumbass for still mulling over going?
I can go later in the weekend, wife will just have to be ok with it lol. She's gonna have to accept I'll be gone most weekends until she gives me the ultimatum of its her or the water and has to leave me haha.

Screenshot_20230525_063017_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230525_063022_Chrome.jpg

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Lightning is always one of those things that is so unpredictable, but is easier to handle on a river than a lake. Most rivers I fish have trees next to them or are in a big canyon so cover is usually available.
To me, the river level is more important. You may already have it, but if you don't...get the riverflows.net app on your phone. The CDA at Cataldo is forecasted to be about 2k cfs by days end on Friday. It's at 2270 right now.
There are gauges that are present and historical and then there are gauges that try to forecast/predict the flow based on the weather. So things like hot weather causing snow melt or heavy rain.
If they aren't predicting any heavy rain (flash floods are no joke!) and the river is not predicted to jump up then you should feel confident going for it. Also, you want to be in-tune with the flows when you go. If you know you can do a float in 4 hours at 2200 then you have a good baseline for how long a float that is twice as long might take at that level.
If you thought it would take 4 hours, but takes you 6, then now you know that at 2200 it takes you 6. If you did that float and had no clue of the cfs, your next trip will be a guessing game.

Get that app! And have fun tomorrow! I'm jealous.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Lightning is always one of those things that is so unpredictable, but is easier to handle on a river than a lake. Most rivers I fish have trees next to them or are in a big canyon so cover is usually available.
To me, the river level is more important. You may already have it, but if you don't...get the riverflows.net app on your phone. The CDA at Cataldo is forecasted to be about 2k cfs by days end on Friday. It's at 2270 right now.
There are gauges that are present and historical and then there are gauges that try to forecast/predict the flow based on the weather. So things like hot weather causing snow melt or heavy rain.
If they aren't predicting any heavy rain (flash floods are no joke!) and the river is not predicted to jump up then you should feel confident going for it. Also, you want to be in-tune with the flows when you go. If you know you can do a float in 4 hours at 2200 then you have a good baseline for how long a float that is twice as long might take at that level.
If you thought it would take 4 hours, but takes you 6, then now you know that at 2200 it takes you 6. If you did that float and had no clue of the cfs, your next trip will be a guessing game.

Get that app! And have fun tomorrow! I'm jealous.
Just downloaded the App. Only seeing an option up by Pritchard, which is was up the river. But I've spent like 10 seconds on the app lol.
Edit- found flow by cataldo. That's closer to where I need to be.
At take out, around enaville it was 2600 cfs when I floated it on the 20th.
It's showing 1600 cfs today, so will definetly be slower.
I plan on starting 1 or 2 hours sooner tomorrow. But with a shuttle, I can't start as early as I want to.
The guy I was with last weekend said mid summer its a 8-9 hour float time, long day with not alot of time to stop.

I'll start taking notes on all of this. This first year will be alot of notes and learning.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Storm Radar is a good App that tracks the movement of weather systems/thunderstorm cells.
I'm in Billings right now and it looks like we could get a zinger at 5 p.m.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I use the RiverFlows app to determine cfs for wading and fishability. But there isn't a frame of reference for a body of water until I've got some experience with it. After I do get familiar with a river I can create a "destination" in the app with too high-high-medium-low-too low levels I designate to tell me at a glance what it will be like. Also using the Advaned Hydrological Prediction Service - AHPS souces in the app gives a 4 day look ahead view based on current cfs and future weather predictions.
A source I check for floating is American Whitewater. Here's the page for the CDA @ Cataldo

Last edited:

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Pushed the solo float to today. Perfect weather, a little windy at times. And surprisingly the river was barren, I didn't see another boat until like noon. Last weekend was far busier.
1350 cfs, started float at 8:55, ended at 3:09. I employed the forward stroke plan. Row like he'll forward, cover ground and leave more time for anchoring and fishing. I fished at least twice as much, and cut time off last week's float, with like 8-900 less CFS flow.

River was active today. Had two pigs on, 16-20" range, but after some fighting they broke off. Landed plenty on the 8-10" range, and had plenty more on. Purple hazes and stone nymphs were on the menu. There was no need to change.

Amazing day. I don't mind company, but really like lone wolfing it also.

20230529_084949.jpg20230529_121738.jpg20230529_125521.jpg

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not fly fishing, not a river, but one of those magical moments.
Took the grandson fishing for his first time at the local lake.
Hooked into a trio of species. Sunfish, tiger trout and perch.

He had a blast. He just couldnt believe "I'm on a real life boat".
At the end when I asked if he's hooked on fishing, he said "I don't think I want to fish everyday, but we should go every weekend". Perfect lol
He was very proud that he outfished me, and that was the better fisher lol

Almost embarrassed to show the pic of the trout. We got him revived, but he had a rough go. He might be floating upside down today. Lip hanging off, and a look of absolute terror in the photo, kind of funny.

20230603_142710.jpg20230603_145414.jpg20230603_134601.jpg

BDD

Steelhead
Can't remember if if was you or somebody else I'm thinking of but if you zip tied your Scotty rod holder to the frame and get tired of that, get yourself a Stealth rod holder base...it will mount tightly to your frame with an Allen wrench and your Scotty holder should fit snugly inside.

Good on you for taking the grand kid out. You looked 20 years too young to even have one!