First attempt at Smoked Salmon

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I always used to do that, on the theory that it would be hotter near the heating element, but then I did some experimenting with temperature probes. The temperature was actually highest right at the top of the smoker, and lowest at the center of the bottom rack (heat rises and all that). The difference was only a handful of degrees though, so now I don’t care which pieces go where.
That kinda matches what I found about not heating evenly. If the racks are not very full it can get hot up top. If the rack area is really full then it can be warmer down below. But I don't have a probe for the scientific approach you took. Big either goes top (not a lot of coverage) or bottom (full racks), 2nd biggest the other, and smaller in the middle racks. Usually too lazy to rotate them, and I dropped a rack doing it before.

Last edited:

BCO

Steelhead
Man, this is just fantastic advice, thanks again guys. I do appreciate it (Paige, that salmon looks fantastic). Yesterday I shot two pheasants during the early season "Geezer" pheasant hunt (65 and older). I'm going to smoke these rooster breasts, also, but I'll go shorter periods with less smoke than the salmon. Thank you.
Past experience and Dads advice is use different smoker’s for fish and meat. Fish tasting meat no bueno.

Cliff

Steelhead
Smoked my roosters yesterday that I shot on Tuesday, and they were fantastic. Only one pan of apple chips, about 45 minutes. I was too lazy to go grocery shopping so they cooked simply on a bed of chopped spuds and onions in butter with a little bit of bell pepper on top. Absolutely delicious. IMG_0104.JPGIMG_0107.JPGIMG_0108.JPGIMG_0110.JPG

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter