Ferrule Help - Coaching Needed

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Preamble - I've done a lot of building out bamboo rods on ferruled blanks and repairs and fixing of old bamboo rods over the years. I'm comfortable with most things, but that comfort ends with the cane and those pesky, mysterious little metal bits magically attached to the ends of the cane, LOL! My one attempt to repair a ferrule a few years ago resulted in an explosion in my kitchen as I held a ferrule over an open flame (gas stove) trying to loosen it but a sudden explosion ended with a smoking naked cane end and a completely disappeared ferrule right before my eyes. I finally found the ferrule across the room but never figured out how to actually replace it and sent if off to someone else to complete that repair.

That said, I have an old favorite Heddon #115 8' 4/5 wt rod that was scarfed and referruled years ago by Dennis Stone which I then rewrapped and fished for many years. Great, great rod. But that rod has developed the dreaded "clicking" sound when casting it which makes me think one or more of those ferrules needs to be reglued. Please coach me on what to do, or perhaps just convince me to ship the rod off to someone who is good with ferrules. Thanks! Ron

Kado

Steelhead
I'm not qualified to help you with repairing a ferrule but I know that 'clicking' noise : ). It's taught me to make sure all the parts are well epoxied including the grip and reel seat. I've had just about every part come loose on my first couple rods (apparently a little careless about evenly and thoroughly applying the epoxy). It's very disconcerting to be out on my kayak and know a piece of hardware is a little loose. I bet Mike can help.
Good luck,
Mark

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Well since Mark is no help.....I made a ferrule puller out of a piece of hard wood. Drill a hole smaller than the OD of the ferrule (lip or welt) then cut the piece of wood in half through the hole. Make sure the ferrule isn’t pinned, then use a Bic lighter to heat the ferrule/glue, slowly turning and not too long.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Well since Mark is no help.....I made a ferrule puller out of a piece of hard wood. Drill a hole smaller than the OD of the ferrule (lip or welt) then cut the piece of wood in half through the hole. Make sure the ferrule isn’t pinned, then use a Bic lighter to heat the ferrule/glue, slowly turning and not too long.
Thanks Steve! I assume after removal you clean the remaining adhesive first then reattach the ferrule. What adhesive is best to replace the ferrule?

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You should isolate the troublesome ferrule first. Shake the mid and tip and listen for the click. No click? attach the base and shake again. If you get the click your problem is in the base and male mid ferrule. Sometimes you can actually feel the wiggle in the ferrule with your fingers. Once you establish it is a ferrule to bamboo failure (not a male fit failure which happens also) you can pull the ferrule and reglue it. We can chat on the phone if you like, easier to explain in person.

Mike

Kado

Steelhead
Steve, is this pretty much the way to try and remove any ferrule, even if you're not sure what glue or epoxy was used?

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Reviving an old thread, reviving an old favorite rod...

Success!

My old, rescued and rebuilt Heddon #115 1-1/2f Extra Light Trout rod (8' five weight) rod has been sitting in my closet unfished for a very long time as I tried to diagnose and repair a clicking feel/sound that I thought was coming from the butt section female ferrule. I gave it one more try but was unable to remove it on my own. I reached out to one of my favorite PNW bamboo rod makers, Jeff Pope of Spokane, and he said sure send it over he'd work on it. Within a few days he had the problem ferrule removed (complication - it was pinned), replaced, blued and re-wrapped. It on its way back to me now and I'm very excited to start fishing it again.

Kudos to Jeff for his expert repair work. Jeff is also the maker who built the amazing blank for my other favorite rod, the 8' Payne 201 clone I've been fishing frequently over the last couple years.