Favorite ling cod recipes?

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
I’ve got a rare opportunity this weekend to experiment while my family is away. We eat a lot of fish lately (thanks @Nick Clayton ) but it’s generally prepared one of two ways: pan fried or breaded and fried for tacos or fish n chips. Both of these are excellent but I’m ready for some variety. What do you all like to do with your ling cod and halibut? Asian flavors? Curry? Grilling tips?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Even more simple... going off the top of my head. Mix up some mayo, lemon juice , dill, melted butter, salt, pepper, in a bowl. Cook your white flaky fish in an air fryer till almost done. Top with your sauce, then top with a healthy dose of Italian bread crumbs, return to air fryer and finish off.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
That parchment paper technique looks really good!
I believe it was from an Emeril Lagasse cookbook. I was a weird kid, my interests were fly fishing/tying, bird watching (my uncle owned the wild bird shop of cannon beach), and Cajun cooking, I have quite the collection of Emeril cook books, used to watch him on the weekends on PBS. I
also had a severe lack of girlfriends 😕 haha..

mooseknuckles

Distinguished Degenerate
Perfect timing on this thread. I am all for the parchment paper & veggies but since he caught it, I have a feeling it will be getting dressed in panko and has a hot date with a cast iron pan tonight. If that plan is ill advised, anyone care to share their favorite kid friendly recipes?

C8C4AE4A-7927-4511-9972-B3AA13469907.jpeg

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Salt fish gingerly about an hour before cooking. Cook in truffle oil and butter with a handful of fresh herds on high for 4-6 minutes skin side down. Turn down heat to medium, flip fish, and spoon the oil butter mixture over the fish until finished; probably another 4 minutes. Served with a side of risotto or other rice and steamed broccoli.

I might need to get some lingcod out of the freezer now...

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
My ex used to do something very similar to this with both ling cod and halibut.
I thought it was excellent on both.
SF

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Perfect timing on this thread. I am all for the parchment paper & veggies but since he caught it, I have a feeling it will be getting dressed in panko and has a hot date with a cast iron pan tonight. If that plan is ill advised, anyone care to share their favorite kid friendly recipes?

View attachment 30319
My kids prefer their fish cracker coated and air fried. This is really easy.
1A4E5BBA-8B63-466E-B610-F1A1AF2CDD9C.jpeg3C1460D2-446F-4B1F-BAC2-DFB3953E302D.jpeg

Pescaphile

Steelhead
My mom used to broil it with some black pepper, sliced onion and tomato on top. Spoon a little Hollandaise over it on the table. Yum.

mooseknuckles

Distinguished Degenerate
My kids prefer their fish cracker coated and air fried. This is really easy.
View attachment 30326View attachment 30327
Appreciate the reply and enjoy your alone time. Look forward to hearing what you end up doing as your end product looks far better than anything that has ever come out of our air fryer. We are traveling and no air fryer at this AirBnB. The bonus points this place had earned with cast iron have now been negated by lack of air fryer. I will be sure to leave the appropriate feedback for the homeowner on their lack of preparedness. Still highly recommend this spot.

Combined butter, random found spices on site and toasted the panko in the cast iorn before bathing in egg and seasoning before baking. Fresh lime was all that was added, not a bite was left.
87FCEA11-BBD2-4BBA-8159-ACD565ECD829.jpegF9C13EC9-8FB4-42CF-8AA8-5EF079E672EE.jpeg

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Salt fish gingerly about an hour before cooking. Cook in truffle oil and butter with a handful of fresh herds on high for 4-6 minutes skin side down. Turn down heat to medium, flip fish, and spoon the oil butter mixture over the fish until finished; probably another 4 minutes. Served with a side of risotto or other rice and steamed broccoli.

I might need to get some lingcod out of the freezer now...
This is similar to how I do pan fried ling and halibut. My wife makes a butter/shallot/fresh herb/wine reduction.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Tonight I’m trying parchment paper and tomorrow something else….maybe the Parmesan topping. Thanks all for the ideas.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Ling cod two ways since I couldn’t decide. Dill & lemon in one parchment packet and capers, red pepper flakes, and herbs de Provenance in the other. Thin sliced onions and a couple tablespoons butter in both.

I almost screwed up the plate by missing the butter sauce left in the parchment. Almost 😅 C2F8D962-6EB0-4603-9B8D-434E08D010C4.jpeg7C915A3C-8CB7-46B1-87AC-CD06B86E2D11.jpeg

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Use this recipe for halibut with capers, and substitute the ling instead. You won't be disappointed!