Favorite float tube?

Engee

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I just fixed a slow leak in my Clearwater. It took two arduous try’s with the bladders out. 1 very slow forming clear bubble. Not a stream of bubbles nor did it form quickly. If you’re interested try soapy water (again I’m sure you did already and let it sit for a while and try multiple times. If there’s a leak there’s a hole but sometimes they are very slow to show. Tear-aid type A and I’m happy.
PS just got the Lost Creek. Not sure of the business model but can confirm it’s made by Outcast and has paperwork stating 5 year warranty.
I'll give it another try. I'll probably still upgrade to a new tube, but maybe I can give my son my old tube without a leak. Thanks

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I've been using the same old Outcast tube since the late 90's. It's so old it doesn't say Fishcat, Fatcat or anything but "Outcast Sporting Goods" on the side. It has a very slow leak in one bladder but is good for all day+. I can't find the leak and Outcast doesn't make replaceable bladders for it anymore. I'm tempted to buy a Lost Creek but don't know if I'll like the raised stripping apron. I like the apron that is just above my lap.View attachment 55396
Great pic! BTW someone I know has a tattoo of that "indicator"

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
That's good to know. I wouldn't want to have to carry tube without straps.
I remember this electrician dude from Quincy who used nylon rope ONE TIME as backpack straps for his float tube, he was prone to calling me a "DA" from time to time. ;-)

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I've been using the same old Outcast tube since the late 90's. It's so old it doesn't say Fishcat, Fatcat or anything but "Outcast Sporting Goods" on the side. It has a very slow leak in one bladder but is good for all day+. I can't find the leak and Outcast doesn't make replaceable bladders for it anymore. I'm tempted to buy a Lost Creek but don't know if I'll like the raised stripping apron. I like the apron that is just above my lap.View attachment 55396
I cut a few inches off the stripping basket legs and rounded the corners so they slip into the leg pockets easily so it will sit on my lap. It works just fine.

Engee

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I remember this electrician dude from Quincy who used nylon rope ONE TIME as backpack straps for his float tube, he was prone to calling me a "DA" from time to time. ;-)
Ouch ya.... had to slip my hands between the rope and tube for padding.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the suggestion. Patrick also suggested cutting the legs down.
I marked above the center of the leg pockets with sharpie a vertical line that I can see while seated. It's really cumbersome to easily place the legs in the pockets while seated with waders, rain jacket, pfd etc. crowding the seating area. The line makes it easier.
I can't even see the rear leg pockets while seated, the front ones barely a little.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I have the old all green Fish Cat and it's done very well for me (had to replace the bladders about 10 years ago, but so far so good on these--first ones lasted about 10 years....uh oh). I've probably gotten way more out of it than I put into it. I too am considering something else. Fat Cat is on my radar along with a couple from across the pond. One by Decathlon (high praise from folks over there), but a concern may be customer service as it may take a fair bit time-wise if needed. That said, I'm of the opinion that the best customer service is one that you never need (or rarely) & most folks seem to really like theirs. There are several other VERY high end ones that people like (the names are escaping me at the moment, but they're out of my price range anyway).

Engee

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have the old all green Fish Cat and it's done very well for me (had to replace the bladders about 10 years ago, but so far so good on these--first ones lasted about 10 years....uh oh). I've probably gotten way more out of it than I put into it. I too am considering something else. Fat Cat is on my radar along with a couple from across the pond. One by Decathlon (high praise from folks over there), but a concern may be customer service as it may take a fair bit time-wise if needed. That said, I'm of the opinion that the best customer service is one that you never need (or rarely) & most folks seem to really like theirs. There are several other VERY high end ones that people like (the names are escaping me at the moment, but they're out of my price range anyway).
I've seen the Decathlon tube on the internet. It does look interesting.