Fall fishing 2022(pic heavy)

Triploidjunkie

Life of the Party
As many of you already know, I'm a huge fall fishing fiend. The timing is hard to predict, I usually just let mother nature tell me when. It's always around when the hardwood leaves start to actually drop, usually mid October where I live. I start up higher in September, and chase the leaf-fall downhill into the river bottoms into late November.
I had great days up in the mountains, sleeping in my truck, waking up to an inch of frost in early October. Many nice tigers were caught and a few browns.
I hit a stream I recently started fishing the last day of the season, and was rewarded with a beautiful 20 inch brown from beneath an undercut bank. You can jump across this creek most places!
Plenty of big bows caught in the Columbia. Caught two trips in the 20 pound class, and several others between 12-16 pounds, and several gorgeous wild redbands in the 28-30 inch range. The brookies were tough this year, and didn't want to cooperate. I did land a few, then had one night where I tied on a mouse in desperation, and landed 9 really big brookies! They were doing cartwheels after my fly, and would often slash at it many times before connecting.
A work conference had me a couple hours away from home in early November, and I met up with a buddy to hike into a seldom fished lake. We both caught a nice brown(mine was literally golden), and he landed a bonus 25 inch tiger trout.
Last Friday I went down on the big river after work. It was windy, cold(9 degrees when I loaded my boat and left), and I almost gave up after an hour and a half of fishing hard. But shivering, I braved it one more time, and rowed up to wind drift down. I saw a roll to my left, made a cast I thought was short, but instantly hooked up. After a short struggle, I had a 24 inch wild male brown in my net. Before I could soak it in, another one rolled to my right. I cast and hooked up after two strips. This one was a rodeo! Many runs and jumps later, a 27 inch brown was next to the other!
Edit: I even caught a small Chinook while fishing for trout this fall. Second one in 20 years.PXL_20220925_014332156~2.jpgPXL_20221016_015711301.jpgPXL_20221016_210701364.jpgPXL_20221018_234147166.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20221019_014031159.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Amazing. Beautiful variety of fishes!