Experience with Cheeky Limitless Reels? Other Mid-Priced Options?

Spfd Jason

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Planning to do a tropical saltwater trip in the next year or so. So I'm slowly building the quiver and need a reel for the 11wt rod. Won't be able to jump right into the Nautilus, Tibor, Hatch price point. I have Lamsons and an Orvis Hydros for the lower weight rods.

Does anyone have experience with the Cheeky Limitless reels? Suggestions for other mid-priced options?

Thanks.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've looked that them. They seem ok. I don't think you can go wrong with a Ross old school cla though.

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Echo Bravo reel. Worked great for tuna.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Planning to do a tropical saltwater trip in the next year or so. So I'm slowly building the quiver and need a reel for the 11wt rod. Won't be able to jump right into the Nautilus, Tibor, Hatch price point. I have Lamsons and an Orvis Hydros for the lower weight rods.

Does anyone have experience with the Cheeky Limitless reels? Suggestions for other mid-priced options?

Thanks.

Flylords seem to like the Cheeky Limitless, even though it is not fully machined. The Redington Grande might be a lower cost option too.

Often times you can buy the high end reels in essentially unused condition on auction sites or fly fishing classifieds. People buy stuff for big trips and never use it or only use it once, then sell it.

stillreleasing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Depends on your budget and whether you want new or used.
I have a limitless on my src setup and have had no issues, with basic cleaning and minimal maintenance.

mems

Steelhead
The Cheeky reels are good when new. They have a sealed drag but I would clean the reel with fresh water after use and then take all the line and backing off after your trip so they don’t corrode.
The Reddington Behemoth has incredible 40lb drag and is priced very low. The Grande is a machined version of the Behemoth. The spool is offset to allow for more backing on the spool.
For me I like Tibor, Abel, and Terry Hayden for blue water. They are heavy but are tanks and will handle big fish. You could be into a big fish for over an hour and you want a reel that won’t blow up or smoke the drag.
If you want to chase sails and marlin where you need a reel with a light start up inertia and are going to fish light tippet like 20lbs and under then get a Siegler or a Mako. But they are very expensive. I would only get those if you are going to be seriously getting into blue water billfish, and plan some trips to Guatemala, Panama, Australia, Kona, etc.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Is this going to be a one time only or a once a year excursion? If so there are many opportunities to purchase a high end used but not abused reel for saltwater use. Especially this time of year. I stay away from FB, Craig’s List and haven’t purchased anything off the auction site in years. This board’s Classified section is a great example of the opportunity. Lots of reputable sellers & buyers.
Another option is a company called Rent This Rod. Check them out. I’ve used them for both rods and reels previously, more so to test drive rods. Check them out. Dave and crew are good people and their gear is topshelf.
Quite frankly there are so many very good to great saltwater reels available now, both new and used, that you would be hard pressed to go wrong with any of the big 10(?).
Me? Buy used and save the money for your guides tip or buy the wife/girlfriend or both an extra Christmas gift.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Is this going to be a one time only or a once a year excursion? If so there are many opportunities to purchase a high end used but not abused reel for saltwater use. Especially this time of year. I stay away from FB, Craig’s List and haven’t purchased anything off the auction site in years. This board’s Classified section is a great example of the opportunity. Lots of reputable sellers & buyers.
Another option is a company called Rent This Rod. Check them out. I’ve used them for both rods and reels previously, more so to test drive rods. Check them out. Dave and crew are good people and their gear is topshelf.

This is a very good point. You can buy used, use on your trip, and as long as you didn't ding it up, sell it for basically what you bought it for. I like to buy and sell used things just to try out stuff and if your patient, you can make a little on top. I do this with tools all the time.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
@Spfd Jason no experience with Cheeky, but I've got a couple Orvis Mach VI reels that don't get used enough. Might as well sell them to someone who will use them.
Will take 350 yds of 30 lbs backing w/ a WF 11. PM me if you're interested.
1675359247032.png

Spfd Jason

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Quite frankly there are so many very good to great saltwater reels available now, both new and used, that you would be hard pressed to go wrong with any of the big 10(?).
Me? Buy used and save the money for your guides tip or buy the wife/girlfriend or both an extra Christmas gift.
I'm hoping to make a saltwater trip every year or two. I look at the classified sections on several forums each day and have picked up lots of great used gear over the years. Thanks.