Electric Filet knife?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Going in to the time of year where I start making multiple bottomfish trips... Been having thoughts about getting an electric filet knife for dealing with a pile of rockfish.

Anyone have much experience with any? I've never used one so am pretty ignorant. But it seems like it'd make my life better.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I have some good filet knives, but even with a steel, they only seem to last a couple fish. If I'm doing like 30, which happens, it's a lot to keep up with.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don’t know about anything about the electric fillet knife but the electric (turkey) carving knife has been a blessing.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Are you slab cutting your bottom fish? I.e. cutting through the ribs and just knocking off the entire side, or do you cut over the top of the ribs? If you're not slabbing them I can't imagine why your knives would dull that quickly.

Cutting through the ribs will definitely dull them quicker but otherwise 30 bottomfish shouldn't be any issue for a halfway decent blade.

I've known some people who are fans of electrics but I've never personally tried one. Just never saw the need.

Supposedly the electric Bubba is nice, but I hate that company with a passion and will never give them another dime of my money lol.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Are you slab cutting your bottom fish? I.e. cutting through the ribs and just knocking off the entire side, or do you cut over the top of the ribs? If you're not slabbing them I can't imagine why your knives would dull that quickly.

Cutting through the ribs will definitely dull them quicker but otherwise 30 bottomfish shouldn't be any issue for a halfway decent blade.

I've known some people who are fans of electrics but I've never personally tried one. Just never saw the need.

Supposedly the electric Bubba is nice, but I hate that company with a passion and will never give them another dime of my money lol.
I do a bit of both. But I got a Rapala electric knife and am going to give it a go on my next pile of fish.

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Get yourself a japanese Deba knife for rockfish and lings. Comes with a learning curve, and stones only (no steel), but it breezes through limits of rockfish and lings.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Get yourself a japanese Deba knife for rockfish and lings. Comes with a learning curve, and stones only (no steel), but it breezes through limits of rockfish and lings.

No doubt that's a sharp knife, but thats an insanely slow method of cutting fish demonstrated there.

I'll never understand why so many chefs cut the heads off the fish they are filleting. That would drive me nuts. The head is the handle!

That way certainly works, but you're sure gonna be at it for a long time when doing a big pile of fish!

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
No doubt that's a sharp knife, but thats an insanely slow method of cutting fish demonstrated there.

I'll never understand why so many chefs cut the heads off the fish they are filleting. That would drive me nuts. The head is the handle!

That way certainly works, but you're sure gonna be at it for a long time when doing a big pile of fish!
Agreed. Dispense with the sushi style prep and you can blow through 'em pretty quick though. This dude is going slow for demo, but still the actual fillet part is about 1 min long. It's the thickness of the knife (approx 1/4") and associated weight that blasts through bone so well.

gpt

Smolt
Agreed. Dispense with the sushi style prep and you can blow through 'em pretty quick though. This dude is going slow for demo, but still the actual fillet part is about 1 min long. It's the thickness of the knife (approx 1/4") and associated weight that blasts through bone so well.
watched a vid of a processing plant filleting Atlantic Salmon. Showed me all the things i was doing wrong. made the changes and what a difference. no electric knife needed, just technique.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter

True, but if one learns to fillet properly there is no blasting through bones ;)

But ya, if you're gonna cut through ribs a thicker blade definitely does help

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
True, but if one learns to fillet properly there is no blasting through bones ;)

But ya, if you're gonna cut through ribs a thicker blade definitely does help
I don't cut through bone hardly ever and my blades seemed to still lose their edge after just a couple rockfish. I thought I had decent blades but maybe not.

This is my primary knife

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I don't cut through bone hardly ever and my blades seemed to still lose their edge after just a couple rockfish. I thought I had decent blades but maybe not.

This is my primary knife

I have zero experience with that knife. In fact that link is the first time I can recall seeing one. Something definitely seems off if it's dulling that quickly. Any halfway decent blade should be able to get through more than just a few fish without dulling like that.

When I decked I use these blades exclusively. I'd say 75-80 percent of all deckhands here use them today. My deckhand cuts 50-60 bottomfish per trip with his, only taking a few swipes on a hone every 10 fish or so. I used to keep two of them onboard, one for rockfish and one for lings. I'd never touch em up on the water, just put them on the Worksharp after every other trip.

Like most things fillet knives are a lot of personal preference of course, but the Dexter "Woody" is king as far as I'm concerned. I own probably 50 fillet knives if not more. Just kinda like them I guess, but Woody is the only blade I actually use for any fish except tuna.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I have zero experience with that knife. In fact that link is the first time I can recall seeing one. Something definitely seems off if it's dulling that quickly. Any halfway decent blade should be able to get through more than just a few fish without dulling like that.

When I decked I use these blades exclusively. I'd say 75-80 percent of all deckhands here use them today. My deckhand cuts 50-60 bottomfish per trip with his, only taking a few swipes on a hone every 10 fish or so. I used to keep two of them onboard, one for rockfish and one for lings. I'd never touch em up on the water, just put them on the Worksharp after every other trip.

Like most things fillet knives are a lot of personal preference of course, but the Dexter "Woody" is king as far as I'm concerned. I own probably 50 fillet knives if not more. Just kinda like them I guess, but Woody is the only blade I actually use for any fish except tuna.
I think my issue more is that I cut around the bones, but might put too much pressure on the blade while I'm using the ribs/bones as a "stop" if that makes sense. I think the constant running of the blade over them like that makes it lose its edge way too quick. So probably just a technique thing.

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It's all about context, and your definition of proper. If I were a deckhand having busted my ass all day long, then having to clean everybody's fish while on a boat bouncing off swell on the way back to port, my goals would be different. For my family I want presentation ready fillets, and to conserve all the meat possible. Bonus that I enjoy the fillet process. I didn't enjoy it so much until I got away from the flexible knives.

I've got maybe 20 fillet knives, including that Dexter, and as backups to my thiccc boi the only ones that ever get use are my Forschners:
Butcher and Breaking.

gpt

Smolt
It's all about context, and your definition of proper. If I were a deckhand having busted my ass all day long, then having to clean everybody's fish while on a boat bouncing off swell on the way back to port, my goals would be different. For my family I want presentation ready fillets, and to conserve all the meat possible. Bonus that I enjoy the fillet process. I didn't enjoy it so much until I got away from the flexible knives.

I've got maybe 20 fillet knives, including that Dexter, and as backups to my thiccc boi the only ones that ever get use are my Forschners:
Butcher and Breaking.
Dexter Butcher is the one i use the most after watching that vid on the commercial guy in Sweden going through one fish after another. cutting the big bones is no big deal as you come back and take them out after you separate the two halves from the spine.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Well, it's official. I'm a convert. Total game changer. This was my first of many fish today. Did 7 rockfish and 4 lings with it, and it made some of the nicest filets I've ever done, and typically at a minute or two per fish.

This one here wasn't quite right (it was my first) as I missed the chunk at the top of the head. But I wasn't really able to take more photos after getting my hands all grody. My wife was kind enough to take this one for me though.
1656907252034.png

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Well, it's official. I'm a convert. Total game changer. This was my first of many fish today. Did 7 rockfish and 4 lings with it, and it made some of the nicest filets I've ever done, and typically at a minute or two per fish.

This one here wasn't quite right (it was my first) as I missed the chunk at the top of the head. But I wasn't really able to take more photos after getting my hands all grody. My wife was kind enough to take this one for me though.
View attachment 21138
Cordless? Brand? (A few years ago I watched a guy filet walleye with an electric knife, I don't know why I didn't go buy one that same day.)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Cordless? Brand? (A few years ago I watched a guy filet walleye with an electric knife, I don't know why I didn't go buy one that same day.)
It's a corded Rapala. The cordless ones didn't have favorable reviews, especially for big batches.

After last night's session, I can think of few reasons to favor a regular filet knife. This made better filets at a way higher speed.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
It's a corded Rapala. The cordless ones didn't have favorable reviews, especially for big batches.

After last night's session, I can think of few reasons to favor a regular filet knife. This made better filets at a way higher speed.
Salmon too?