Edmonds…

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Zero chum or coho (live or dead) spotted in Lund's Creek this morning. This is the first time I've ever seen it barren in November. The cutthroat population along the beach there is also down.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Zero chum or coho (live or dead) spotted in Lund's Creek this morning. This is the first time I've ever seen it barren in November. The cutthroat population along the beach there is also down.
Do you think all the restoration activity at the mouth messed it up until it restabilizes?

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Do you think all the restoration activity at the mouth messed it up until it restabilizes?

Possibly. Coho numbers have been very low for several years, but lack of any chum is surprising even for an odd year. Replanting salmon in spring 2024 would be a good plan.

I'm more concerned about the cutthroat. They are tough though and will likely rebound in time.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Really enjoyed reading through this thread, super interesting topic. The UBC forestry department did habitat restoration on some similar urban creeks in Vancouver and had pretty solid results. I didn't see it immediately after the work was done but within a few years, it looks a lot different than what they did for this creek. Sinuosity is pretty important in creating holding structure, so I am surprised this creek is so straight. The large woody debris was subtle but tied down.

What was really interesting was their studies on the resident cutthroat that live in in the essentially intermittent creeks year round and their tactics for surviving extremely low flows.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not as nearly as many chums in Carkeek this year compared to last year in my eyes, at least based on what I saw last weekend.
SF

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
There is a impassable beaver dam right?

There are multiple beaver dams but some fish have made it past them on the high water we had recently. It was pretty fun watching them do so.
SF

jeradjames

Steelhead
I saw one yesterday morning that came right up to the shoreline on a walk, caught me by surprise. Spoke with a guy who lives close by and checks the creek often and claimed he counted 16 near the second bridge on Monday.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For what it is worth, over the summer I saw tons of cutthroat jumping by the beach, in fact more than years previous. I understand that the cutthroat around this time of the year are the lunds creek fish, maybe the jumpers I was seeing were fattening up before heading to the sky or stilly