Easy-on boots for use with fins?

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Is there such a thing or do I have to keep lacing boots every time out? It seems like a few years back there was a flurry of zip on boots that could be used with fins. Did such a product fail-I don't see them advertised any more. I see a number of flats booties that zip up but don't know if they would work with fins or not.

Any suggestions for a solution other than lace-up would be appreciated. Years ago I bought cheap $15 tennis type shoes with a Velcro closure and trimmed them to fit my fins with an electric carving knife. They worked well and were adequate for minor hiking or sharp rocks. They looked hokey as hell, especially after the closure tabs started to fray, but never came loose with the fins on. I don't know if they still make these either but they were lightweight and went on/off in seconds.

Dennisoft

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have been happy with an inexpensive pair of neoprene dive booties from Amazon. They were about $50 at the time and come with a zipper on the side for easy in/out.

Edit: The ones I've got are Neo-Sport branded and come in large sizes, if that is a concern.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Adamsbuilt Knott Creek zippered neoprene boots. Easy on, easy off, zippered and the soles are rigid enough (for me) that I can hike my float tube into lakes where I'm walking on fractured basalt. They're far more durable than -----'s Flats Booties.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks guys-that is what I am looking for. I ordered a pair of the Adamsbuilt Knott Creek models from Amazon. My size is right between med and large so I ordered large, I don't want anything too tight for cold weather fishing.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
When I use to fish lakes. I used those things called "Water Socks" on my stocking feet. I would drive to where I was going to fish, suit up, use the Water Sock's on my stocking feet waders. Getting them your size will stay on your feet. I used "creek fin's" so all you have to do is clinch them down. I used that set up for many years. Never lost anything while floating on lakes. I was prepared to use this set up on lakes this year but all my plans went to hell. So if I'm still here next year I'll try to fish this way.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I'm sort of resurrecting here...

Incase anyone happens across something...the only one who ever got it right was Harvey's out of Kent, now unfortunately defunct. They used to make one and sell thru Kaufmann's where I first discovered them. When Kmann folded I continued to custom order from Harvey's over the phone and they were cheap. I still have 4 pair, one lives in WA, another is a size smaller for guests, and yet another is wearing thin...that leaves one more here in Ohio that I'm about to start using.

The magic was in the construction, mainly with the sole. No wraparound, no thickness, no side-treads, no over the toe rubber - just a thin flat sole that does its job while merely invisible to the fin (I'm using standard force fins). The space on the topside allows enough room and freedom of movement (warmth and comfort) if just the neoprene, no rubber. Btw, 3mm neoprene worked best. I'm always amazed that no one else can figure that simple solution out, yet Harvey's did probably 40+ years ago.

I found one other divesuit co who offers a crude version by custom order, but at $100+ and sight unseen i'm not likely to be a buyer. So.....if anyone finds a likeness to below, do tell!

8EB3F587-EDCA-49F1-86E0-C615AB7E6116.jpeg7D53583F-7D4D-4774-AAD5-C97371F886C6.jpeg68C407E0-7A31-4D07-9BBD-3EA93DD3DB0E.jpeg7758D3BD-C086-4ADE-81E1-4DE9EEFAF88B.jpeg

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
The magic was in the construction, mainly with the soul. No wraparound, no thickness, no over the toe rubber - just a thin flat sole that does its job while merely invisible to the fin
Kind of surprised nobody else made this design. Seems pretty basic and logical.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'll have to remember this thread when my nearly 15 y.o. Patagonias give up the ghost. Every year 8 think they're close, but somehow they have mostly held together.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
They are the best!!! Mine are now half boot/half Aquaseal where they are falling apart!
Same...just completed another round of repairs. Both boots were blown out the front, including the soles separating from the neoprene. One had also come apart at the ball of the foot, you can see below where the sole had peeled off as well as the neoprene splitting at the edge. I aquasealed everything and reinforced with gorilla tape...in the past these would be long gone, but literally no one is making these the right way after the closing of Harvey's. I won't break out my last new pair until I'm forced.
E0C440EA-CE3D-4109-8C98-8F693D40B4C8.jpegEC105FF7-1F31-420A-B0C5-1B32A425C710.jpegA009B56E-3113-4407-A437-8CB1A200FB1A.jpeg7E8F42EC-AFE6-4DEB-8620-11F1A896D1CB.jpeg0C1D82A2-078F-48EF-85E3-81C02E81655F.jpeg

Last edited: