Ear's -n- Egg's

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Not a 100%, but went in to work as it's the last day to turn in the last project (I don't call it a final). so I went fishing in the warmth. I guess I'm a little touched as well as some others:) Watched/listened to a lot of euronymphing videos while I was sick, so I was anxious to put it to work. Tiny perdigons and little teeny-tiny bwo's everyone recommends for winter must work for everyone but me. I can't seem make it work. Went back to my 3x-4x hare's ear and egg rig and was in business.
20221209_esn.jpg
The softhackle did most of the catching.
20221209_grhefly.jpg
I'm not really familiar with this place but I found some rainbows
20221209_rainbow.jpg
and what reminds me of the silvers we used to catch around lake washington so looking into it I think these might be chinook?, all the silver fish fought different
20221209_chinook.jpg
And I really though I would find me a whitefish:(, but when this guy decided to join in mid-fight, my disappointment faded.
20221209_oddcouple.jpg

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
That's just about the perfect combo of flies....I can't tell you how many times I employ a combo similar to that....but yeah, gotta agree with @Long_Rod_Silvers , you catch far too many doubles...wait a minute, that's not really what he said....

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
That's just about the perfect combo of flies....I can't tell you how many times I employ a combo similar to that....but yeah, gotta agree with @Long_Rod_Silvers , you catch far too many doubles...wait a minute, that's not really what he said....
Too many? No way! Keep it up Tom!
PS maybe too many triples. Those kinda make me feel bad about myself and my lack of triples. 😉

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've only had 2 (landed) doubles in my life but one of them was pretty sweet.

I was fishing a put and take river a couple years ago and I was slaying them, while there was a gear angler across the stream frustratingly getting blanked. Not only was he made that I was catching fish and he wasn't, I was letting them go! And then when I landed a double AND released them he let out a loud, audible, COMMMME ON!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Fished a much bigger river to the east today. Lost my ZZtop fly in the fish I was looking for (steel color not white today) about 45 minutes in. Went back to eggs and ears.
20221215_flies.jpg
Didn't really have the best setup for this place, but I had a float in my pocket.
20221215_gear.jpg
Doubles? Took one fish pic today.
20221215_dblpred.jpg

Last edited:

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Not a 100%, but went in to work as it's the last day to turn in the last project (I don't call it a final). so I went fishing in the warmth. I guess I'm a little touched as well as some others:) Watched/listened to a lot of euronymphing videos while I was sick, so I was anxious to put it to work. Tiny perdigons and little teeny-tiny bwo's everyone recommends for winter must work for everyone but me. I can't seem make it work. Went back to my 3x-4x hare's ear and egg rig and was in business.
View attachment 44385
The softhackle did most of the catching.
View attachment 44386
I'm not really familiar with this place but I found some rainbows
View attachment 44387
and what reminds me of the silvers we used to catch around lake washington so looking into it I think these might be chinook?, all the silver fish fought different
View attachment 44388
And I really though I would find me a whitefish:(, but when this guy decided to join in mid-fight, my disappointment faded.
View attachment 44389
Those are all trout except the bull.
Nice work!