Dropper nymphs for western wa

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I prefer for my waltz (which is super close to what Matt is describing) size 14-16 with heavy beads 3.5mm.

Do you tie yours with tungsten beads? What size bead for a size 12 hook?
I do like tungsten beads but not all of my stock is tungsten. I use what I have and when I run out I get more. As I am running out of beads of various sizes I am generally replacing with tungsten as long as I can get the color and finish I want. I use the size bead that looks right for the hook I'm tying on. I'm pretty loosey goosey about this stuff. Since I tie these on short shank curved hooks I don't do too many 16s. Not for Western Washington trout like I think we're talking about. When the water levels drop I pretty much go dry fly only.

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
I do like tungsten beads but not all of my stock is tungsten. I use what I have and when I run out I get more. As I am running out of beads of various sizes I am generally replacing with tungsten as long as I can get the color and finish I want. I use the size bead that looks right for the hook I'm tying on. I'm pretty loosey goosey about this stuff. Since I tie these on short shank curved hooks I don't do too many 16s. Not for Western Washington trout like I think we're talking about. When the water levels drop I pretty much go dry fly only.
Interesting, I think I only have tungsten beads. I spend way to much money on them :ROFLMAO:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Interesting, I think I only have tungsten beads. I spend way to much money on them :ROFLMAO:
Believe it or not there was a time when tungsten beads were not widely available. I bought a lot of beads then, apparently.