Deschutes Closes For Steelhead 6/1

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Maybe I can bring a bit of hope into this thread and change its direction. The Deschutes is open. Opening day was Monday, a new concept for the river according to a long-time fly fishing guide that I talked to. Early in the week, the fish were grabby, maybe because they hadn’t been dodging spinners and spoons on the lower river. I had some success throughout the week and encountered some hot fish that I didn’t land. It appears that the river has cleared the next hurdle so it will be open for the remainder of the fall. It felt great being back on the river swinging flies for steelhead. The Deschutes Angler has a great recent post about being conservation-minded when fishing for steelhead and being content with one or two fish per day. I agree.

Last edited:

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It's not all doom and gloom guys. If I know it's going to be busy a few small adjustments and I still have a great time. Maybe launch a little later, maybe fish some of the smaller spots. Especially a big river like the D, plenty of water for everybody.

Are there still some people out there dong stupid stuff? Of course. I see plenty of switch rods with bobbers going up and down the dirt road at 40mph. But in my experience those guys are the minority and easy to avoid. They seem to hit the heart of the famous runs and spend as much time driving around as fishing.

I'm out there to just unwind and maybe happen across a fish. Maybe I just don't get wound up because there are 4 guys working Grumpys. I'll keep rambling on down the road to Windknot. Might even listen to a Dead bootleg tape! 😜

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
It's not all doom and gloom guys. If I know it's going to be busy a few small adjustments and I still have a great time. Maybe launch a little later, maybe fish some of the smaller spots. Especially a big river like the D, plenty of water for everybody.

Are there still some people out there dong stupid stuff? Of course. I see plenty of switch rods with bobbers going up and down the dirt road at 40mph. But in my experience those guys are the minority and easy to avoid. They seem to hit the heart of the famous runs and spend as much time driving around as fishing.

I'm out there to just unwind and maybe happen across a fish. Maybe I just don't get wound up because there are 4 guys working Grumpys. I'll keep rambling on down the road to Windknot. Might even listen to a Dead bootleg tape! 😜

How does one learn the names of these runs? I’ve got lawnmower, and that’s about it.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've learned a few of them fishing with buddies. Others I just made up. I'm guessing your lawn mower is what we call grumpy's aka boxcar.

My favorite would be what we call old man reef. On one canyon trip a long time ago we pulled into a really nice spot fairly early in the afternoon. Killer water, nice camp, shade, etc. As we were setting up 2 elderly gentlemen pulled over almost straight across from us into a tiny little bay in the reeds. Water didn't look all that special and they ended up camping on a little ledge about 100' from the water. Young punks that we were we kind of snickered as we made margaritas and enjoyed the shade and watching all the disappointed faces float by when they saw we had "the spot". Eventually the hot afternoon turned to evening and we got rigged up. Just as we were about to walk up to the head of the run a guide puts 3 dudes in at the very top. No big deal, we have time to let them go through and then get in ourselves. By the time they get down near our camp we start to head to the top and another guide puts 2 people in. Damn!
We then look across and see the 2 old timers get in what looks like deep water only to walk out on a big basalt ledge shin deep. They were able to fish a good stretch from what looked more like a Nump reef than typical D water. Both hooked fish on skaters.
The next morning as we made coffee in the dark here comes a string of headlamps. Yup, same 2 guides had camped right around the corner and beat us to the top of the run again. To top it all off I managed to spill my freshly made coffee. Snickers could be heard coming form across the river.
We took it on the chin that day but sure did learn a valuable lesson. I'm hoping to spend my lay day this fall float at old man reef.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
How does one learn the names of these runs? I’ve got lawnmower, and that’s about it.
C'mon Phil, you know more runs than that....like Money Run, Tango's Run, One-fish Run, The Corner, The First Run. :LOL:

Honestly though, I haven't the slightest clue about what runs are called by the old timers....just ones that I've named myself for various reasons. Send me down to the lower lower river and I'm even more clueless to the names of the runs.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Just a reminder for Deschutes fishers, brandishing a weapon outside the realm of self defense, can be prosecuted as a felony.

Reactions: JS

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
. Maybe launch a little later, maybe fish some of the smaller spots. Especially a big river like the D, plenty of water for everybody.

This is true.. One day I walked up the west bank at moody and it was packed all the way back up to Rattlesnake.
I walked all the way up then walked back down no room for me anywhere.
So with nothing else to do i fished all the pocket water alongside Moody Rapids.
I didn't get bit however there is some good small water in there particularly for a guy willing to fish a weighted fly. The fish have to move through there and no one fishes it.