December tying contest and November's winner is:

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
this dumb one (shown earlier) hooked a steelhead today....came unpinned though...oh well.

BCIFhGo.jpg

actually looked really great in the water too, which is a good thing as well....hopefully I'll be able to photographic evidence soon of actual effectiveness....
You may have already done this but care to share more details on the construction of this one? Looks damn good

Reactions: Zak

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
You may have already done this but care to share more details on the construction of this one? Looks damn good
Thanks!

Sure, shank or standard hook (like my other one I posted) doesn't matter, just depends on how long you yourself want the body to be. This one's on one of the shorter Chocklett's big game shank (I think 28mm) with a stinger off the back. tail is rabbit. The rest are various parts of pheasant (in progressively longer lengths) over a couple of wraps of cactus chenille (helps hold that shape), pheasant for the pecs, large dumb bell eyes on this one, ftd kraken dubbed head tied in reverse, then brushed out. You can use copic markers to change shading to match the specific color you're after too (I didn't with this one) and having a full pheasant skin really works wonders for giving yourself options. Stinger if you're primarily swinging, otherwise you probably want the hook up closer to the head since when you're actively fishing it for predatory responses, those fish are head hunters.
Cheers!

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ok, I just posted this in the "whats in your vice" thread. I have found that many of my images, when I attach them, are "not an image as expected". I was able to re-download these and have them attach. Came up with this one about 5 years ago, actually for the March Madness "swap" that @Scottp put on on the old site (looking forward to that continuing here ;-)).

Anywho, this sculpin, also in Olive, has absolutely slayed for me all over the west. My go to if I am tying on a streamer. And for those that fish the Yak, this one has accounted for more streamer fish than any other pattern for me. Late Jan - Early Feb this thing shines!
DSC_0116 - edit 1.jpg
DSC_0118 - edit 1.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ok, I just posted this in the "whats in your vice" thread. I have found that many of my images, when I attach them, are "not an image as expected". I was able to re-download these and have them attach. Came up with this one about 5 years ago, actually for the March Madness "swap" that @Scottp put on on the old site (looking forward to that continuing here ;-)).

Anywho, this sculpin, also in Olive, has absolutely slayed for me all over the west. My go to if I am tying on a streamer. And for those that fish the Yak, this one has accounted for more streamer fish than any other pattern for me. Late Jan - Early Feb this thing shines!
View attachment 46193
View attachment 46194
James, if you ever did a SBS, this would be one I’d be interested in :)

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin

View attachment 46193
View attachment 46194
Man you think you got a chance and some show off like James comes along and just crushes your dreams🤣

J/k awesome tie buddy!