December tying contest and November's winner is:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
A little more winter anadromous oriented...

9cpo0YV.jpg

LCn5xXh.jpg

Last edited:

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
cheechakos
I first learned this word reading a short story by Jack London called “To Build a Fire”. The main character truly turned out to be a cheechako. As am I when it comes to fishing sculpin patterns. I can’t say with 100% certainty that I’ve ever landed a fish on a dedicated sculpin pattern.

QuickreleaseEN

Steelhead
Does that creature have a name? Materials list.

I'm calling it the Big Brown Lunker. Definitely an upgrade from it's original name at the very least.

Materials:
Streamer hooks of choice depending on size, this one uses a 1/0 gama worm hook up front and a size 4 B10S I believe.

Rear hook
Tail: Two large tailing feathers from one of those whiting tailing packs, tied vertically
Underbody: Yellow ice dubbing wrapped up the hook shank
Body: Stacked Marabou- Brown then black on top, cream on bottom
Accents: Mottled rubber legs and sparse gold flash (mfc crinkle or flashabou)

Front Hook:
Underbody: Yellow ice dub wrapped up hook shank
Body: Stacked Marabou: Brown, then the grey aftershaft of one of the large tailing feathers, then black marabou on top. On bottom, cream marabou
Pectoral fins: Two evenly stacked mallard flank on each side, with a Ruffed Grouse feather overlaying
Head: Large Pseudo eyes with stacked and trimmed deer hair, black on top and brown on bottom

Like most of my large predator streamers I tie it with what I call the archangel wings. Essentially stacking two similar, stiff mallard feathers (used to only use one) on each side and covering it with another accent feather for decoration. The stiff feathers are important- sticking 60-70 degrees out because they push a ton of water, compress on the strip and flare back out on the pause causing the fly to abruptly turn laterally.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm calling it the Big Brown Lunker. Definitely an upgrade from it's original name at the very least.

Materials:
Streamer hooks of choice depending on size, this one uses a 1/0 gama worm hook up front and a size 4 B10S I believe.

Rear hook
Tail: Two large tailing feathers from one of those whiting tailing packs, tied vertically
Underbody: Yellow ice dubbing wrapped up the hook shank
Body: Stacked Marabou- Brown then black on top, cream on bottom

Front Hook:
Underbody: Yellow ice dub wrapped up hook shank
Body: Stacked Marabou: Brown, then the grey aftershaft of one of the large tailing feathers, then black marabou on top. On bottom, cream marabou
Pectoral fins: Two evenly stacked mallard flank on each side, with a Ruffed Grouse feather overlaying
Head: Large Pseudo eyes with stacked and trimmed deer hair, black on top and brown on bottom

Like most of my large predator streamers I tie it with what I call the archangel wings. Essentially stacking two similar, stiff mallard feathers (used to only use one) on each side and covering it with another accent feather for decoration. The stiff feathers are important- sticking 60-70 degrees out because they push a ton of water, compress on the strip and flare back out on the pause causing the fly to abruptly turn laterally.
Awesome info
What is your connection