December tying contest and November's winner is:

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
First off awesome turnout for the November baitfish contest which can be found here:
That was really cool to see👍
@troutpocket has selected....(drumroll please)

@G_Smolt and his Doppelganger Fly!
20221103_131755.jpg
Congrats to G! He will be a judge for December's contest and has selected Sculpin as the theme of the month!

Time to get tying and share what you know about fishing sculpin patterns!
Billy🍻

Divad

Whitefish
I forgot last month but this month plan to enter, congrats G 👍 need to tie some sculpins up anywho.

Reading the fine print of the contest looks like Midge cannot be a category, oh bummer.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I forgot last month but this month plan to enter, congrats G 👍 need to tie some sculpins up anywho.

Reading the fine print of the contest looks like Midge cannot be a category, oh bummer.
It can be if you win! The winner picks the next months theme

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
to last months winner

9pxT.gif

G_Smolt

Legend
I'm a big fan of sculpins for trout and steelhead. Huge, even. Veering into Stan territory occasionally.
I think they work well for several reasons, one of which is sculpins (the fish, not the fly) are ubiquitous across the range of trout and salmon, and are a "universal fish food" of sorts. The other reason I like 'em is that fat-ass head makes a LOT of noise in the water, and that is definitely a trigger for larger, piscivorous trout. Throw a sculpin on 12' of t20 and yer knockin' on Walter's door fo sho.

At any rate, here's a pic of a fly and a fish. The fly is my "Kvichak Snack" sculpin pattern ("KWEE-jack", for the cheechakos), complete with chartreuse hotbutt, and the fish is a pretty OK rainbow trout that fell for said fly.
IMG_20221202_174603.jpg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I'm a big fan of sculpins for trout and steelhead. Huge, even. Veering into Stan territory occasionally.
I think they work well for several reasons, one of which is sculpins (the fish, not the fly) are ubiquitous across the range of trout and salmon, and are a "universal fish food" of sorts.
There is a strong argument to be made that our salmon and trout streams should really be called sculpin streams.

Chucker

Steelhead
I think they work well for several reasons, one of which is sculpins (the fish, not the fly) are ubiquitous across the range of trout and salmon, and are a "universal fish food" of sorts.

I have found a sculpin in the stomach of a steelhead twice. Both on the same stretch of the Siletz in late summer.