Deals at online Retailers

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
So, what would be a good list of items to grab from this sale for a rank beginner?
Depends on what you lack and what your goals are. All the prices are good.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Starting at 0 and go from there
Don't know what they've still got in stock:

A vise (Griffin Montana Mongoose is great for it's price and will do just about everything. Buy once, cry once)
a bobbin with metal knobs
a pair of scissors with a notch for wire,
a pair of longer scissors for hair,
a bodkin

Whatever materials you need for the flies you want to tie but don’t buy dry fly hackle online.

Westfly Refugee

Steelhead
Just like the Campmor catalog! Which, I just learned, is still around

But how many actually stepped inside Campmor's bricks&mortar store? (I know of one - and I still have the Campmor frame pack to prove it!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
It looks like Sierra is blowing out their stock of TFO Professional II models.
They are decent sticks if you are looking for a low cost rod.
SF

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
These guys make some pretty decent stuff. 40% off is a good deal if you fall within one of the discount groups.

Divad

Whitefish
Ole Florida Fly Shop has free shipping on all orders and “welcome10” gets you 10% off and no sales tax ❤️

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
"Un-deals online" WAPSI? Over the past several years I've become a fan of WAPSI's UTC 70 denier thread (probably sucked into the marketing madness that being able to unwind the thread so it lies flat when tying thin bodied flies). I spent a bit of time looking through a half dozen different websites looing for a couple colors (colours) I'm running low on - rusty brown, watery olive, wine (and the standard black and olive) are "out of stock" at each of the stores. Any industry feedback on what's happening with WAPSI / UTC threads?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
"Un-deals online" WAPSI? Over the past several years I've become a fan of WAPSI's UTC 70 denier thread (probably sucked into the marketing madness that being able to unwind the thread so it lies flat when tying thin bodied flies). I spent a bit of time looking through a half dozen different websites looing for a couple colors (colours) I'm running low on - rusty brown, watery olive, wine (and the standard black and olive) are "out of stock" at each of the stores. Any industry feedback on what's happening with WAPSI / UTC threads?
I agree, it’s my go to for small dries, specifically BWOs

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
You probably already know that Danville flat waxed 6/0 can be unwound to lay flat, or for splitting the thread. Comes in lots of colors, too. Their olive is more like a brown and I use it for most flies, and their merlot is a nice wine color.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
You probably already know that Danville flat waxed 6/0 can be unwound to lay flat, or for splitting the thread. Comes in lots of colors, too. Their olive is more like a brown and I use it for most flies, and their merlot is a nice wine color.
Zak - Didn't I mention "I've become a fan of UTC 70?" ;-) I'm not a fan of Danville threads.
Not a fan of Danville. It seems to break easily while I’m tying.
UTC 's filaments can be pretty fragile, sharp hook points are to be avoided but I rarely have a complete breakage when tying with it, just a few filaments.

Reactions: Zak

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
some killer deals