Dave Whitlock

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I saw a post that Dave Whitlock has passed away.
I always enjoyed the things he put out and his patterns, especially for smallmouth bass.
SF

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
RIP.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Sad news. A loss to flyfishermen and flywomen everywhere.
I always looked forward to his writings, but especially his illustrations. He had a way of putting it all together and visually simplifying it all.

RIP Mr. Whitlock.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I owned a couple of flies he tied... a couple of sculpins, a popper, and some others. I still retain one of the sculpins. Good fly on SE MO and Arkansas trout rivers and deep slow pools in SW Montana rivers and streams. I love his illustrations and his columns in Trout magazine. Another Giant of the sport heads over the Great Divide. I'll honor his memory.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
From Emily

Emily Bruce Whitlock

https://www.facebook.com/emilywhitl...bxhIZKltk8BnxBJM_sSlAY2k2gqtn&__tn__=,O,P-y-R
·
It breaks my heart to let you know that we lost Dave last night to a massive stroke. He was working on his boat next to our casting pond when it hit, and was flown to Tulsa for care. But he broke the tippit and drifted gently back to the deep water, the wild that he loved and spent a lifetime exploring, writing and painting about.
We shared 30 wonderful years together and I was able to see, first hand, the huge mark he made on our sport. He was so honored when Fly Fisherman Magazine recently named him as one of four greats that make up the Mt. Rushmore of fly fishing. But I think he left an even bigger mark on those who knew him and who got to share a river with him. The shimmering leap of a trout, the heavy pull of a largemouth or the feisty dance of a bluegill were things that he dearly loved, made his heart race and brought out his big smile...every time!
I can't fathom life without him yet. For all these years we have done everything together. But, if I learned one thing from Dave, (and I learned many), it is to take on each day with willingness and curiosity and go out there and keep casting forward.
My kids are here with their arms around me and I’ll reach out when I can. We will come together for a celebration of Dave’s life, but we don’t know when that will be just yet.
Thanks to all of you who have touched our lives so profoundly.
With love,
Emily

1669443345914.png

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
So creative and talented. I poured over his writing as I tried to improve my knowledge and skills. RIP Dave.

Smalma

Life of the Party
I once met him more than 50 years ago at one of the Seattle sport shows where he took the time to discuss his ideas on tying deer hair bass poopers and hook preferences. More than generous with this young angler eager to explore the world of bass fishing with the fly rod.

RIP Dave!