Damsels and Dragons

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It was suggested that a thread devoted to odonates might be a good idea, so…

This is a pair of Western Forktail damsels. The male is on the left. The damsels I have encountered aren't much larger than a typical sewing needle.

BEC28959-C305-498C-9F4A-A8B38C5FAEE0.jpeg

This is a Blue Dasher dragon.

A300B580-CA67-4235-8455-8E1E160AFE98.jpeg

Both of the pictured species are found in western Washington and Oregon.

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
One of the great things about night fishing in the desert on a hot late spring evening (besides the ticks, bats, rattlers and muskrat holes) is watching the dragonfly nymphs latch onto a reed and crawl up to hatch out in the dark. Wow!!

I'll cheat and repost this one from the backyard wildlife thread until I can get more photos of these amazing creatures
f]dragonfly2022ddd.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Melton

Life of the Party

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is a pair of Northern Spreadwing damsel flies ensuring the next generation. They range throughout Oregon and north into Alaska. Note that when perched the wings are held in a swept back position, instead of above and parallel to the abdomen as in most damsels. The top damsel is the male. For scale, his long abdomen is about the diameter of typical diaper pin wire. (For younger PNW members who have never seen a cloth diaper, think safety pin) The red globules just visible under his thorax are water mite parasites that attached to him in his larval stage and hung on through his emergence into adult form. When the parasites mature they will drop off.

In the second photo it is more evident that the female is cutting/has cut into a reed to oviposit.

66076A16-EDF2-455F-B826-8BCD975D5F30.jpeg

8F1DC3D1-141F-44F0-BF98-1D36D553BEB8.jpeg

This is so pathetic, I gotta get a life!

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
You post some wonderful photos.