Corned Beef

RCF

Life of the Party
I remember going into a (so-called) deli in the PNW and asking if the corned beef was lean. The guy behind the counter (who clearly didn't grow up eating deli) said, very enthusiastically: Yes! Very lean!

Who the hell likes lean corned beef? I suppose it could have been worse. He could have asked if I wanted butter (or - gasp - mayo) on it.

Speaking of deli food, I ran into someone on a past Deschutes trip who had some home-smoked whitefish. It was every bit as good as I remember it from the delis when I was growing up. (Nowadays, you need to prequalify for financing if you're considering buying some!)

With whitefish in abundance around here I'd love to find someone who can tell me how to smoke it. I'd retain some instead of C&R all the time.

Something smells fishy about this post.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I remember going into a (so-called) deli in the PNW and asking if the corned beef was lean. The guy behind the counter (who clearly didn't grow up eating deli) said, very enthusiastically: Yes! Very lean!

Who the hell likes lean corned beef? I suppose it could have been worse. He could have asked if I wanted butter (or - gasp - mayo) on it.

Speaking of deli food, I ran into someone on a past Deschutes trip who had some home-smoked whitefish. It was every bit as good as I remember it from the delis when I was growing up. (Nowadays, you need to prequalify for financing if you're considering buying some!)

With whitefish in abundance around here I'd love to find someone who can tell me how to smoke it. I'd retain some instead of C&R all the time.
Well first off, the mountain whitefish isn't the same animal as a lake whitefish. Years ago, I tried to live off the land, which included harvesting and smoking a bunch of whole mountain whitefish. The brine I used was a wet brine that included salt, brown sugar, soy, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. I would brine it for 24 hours, and cold smoke it for another 12. Between the oiliness of the fish and the brine, it was so rich, I could only stomach so much. Knowing what I know now, 30+ years later, I would do a dry brine of 1/3 brown sugar, and 2/3 coarse sea salt. I would filet the whitefish, leaving the skin on, brine the filets for a maximum of 8 hours, and hot smoke them for an hour or two.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter

Too many bones to fillet in my book. So I smoke them whole, gutted and gilled, hanging by their heads. Apple or cherry chips

My standard trout/whitefish brine:
  • 3/4 cup kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 8 cups lukewarm water
That said, most of the ones I’ve eaten are cooked over a streamside/campsite fire.

Edit: still learning how to use commas, apparently.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Forum Supporter
Too many bones to fillet in my book. So I smoke them whole, gutted and gilled, hanging by their heads. Apple or cherry chips

My standard trout/whitefish brine:
  • 3/4 cup kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 8 cups lukewarm water
That said, most of the ones I’ve eaten are cooked over a streamside/campsite fire.

Edit: still learning how to use commas, apparently.
Definitely a lot of bones.

Rio Grande King

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This is simple and works well-
Corned Beef
3 lb. flat cut corned beef roast ditch the spice packet
2 tsp. cooking oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup yellow mustard - Better is to use Boar’s Head Deli mustard
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 garlic clove minced

Brown in oil
Add mustard/maple syrup/pepper/garlic mix
Cook 7-hours on low in crock pot

RCF

Life of the Party
Boiled with veggies; garlic, onion, carrot, potato, and cabbage. Veggie’s added in sequence so they’re tender crisp at serving. Vinegar and horseradish for condiments.

Not a huge fan of vinegar or horseradish for the main course. Gotta have lots of celery and carrots in the main course.

BUT with the leftover corned beef make hot German potato salad with bacon, vinegarette dressing the next day. Add chunks of corned beef to take it to a new level of flavor bomb goodness.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Are the points already brined? I'm sorry, I spent many years in a BBQ shop and sourcing just points was always a frustration
Vacuumed sealed with spices. Have to sort through them to find the points.

Our's is simple;
Meat in the crock pot first. Sprinkle brown sugar on the top of the roast. Arrange potatoes (we use Yukon Gold) around the edges of the brisket on top. Carrots and garlic in the fray. Bay leaf somewhere inside the edge and add the beer down the side so you don't wash off the brown sugar/spices.
  • 2 1/2 lb. (approx) point/flat cut corned beef brisket
  • 1 seasoning packet from above roast if not pre-seasoned packed
  • 12 oz. bottled extra stout or your preferred dark beer
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 8 Yukon gold potatoes
  • 4 carrots
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 head cabbage, cut into slices

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Not a huge fan of vinegar or horseradish for the main course. Gotta have lots of celery and carrots in the main course.

BUT with the leftover corned beef make hot German potato salad with bacon, vinegarette dressing the next day. Add chunks of corned beef to take it to a new level of flavor bomb goodness.
My favorite with leftover corned beef (if there is any) is to make corned beef hash...I almost like it better than the original dinner.

Theron

Keeper of the bees
Forum Supporter
Slightly off topic, but it begins with corned beef:
I plan to try that later when outdoor temps are better for smoking. I picked up a couple flats on sale.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Forum Supporter
I've done both. The points may be a little tenderer but both are good.
I like to do both. Point with the carrots, potatoes and cabbage, flat for the Rubens for the following couple of days. Used to cure my own whole briskets prior to St Patrick's day, but the BBQ dudes have drive the price up on whole briskets. Far cheaper to buy the pre cured individually now.

Theron

Keeper of the bees
Forum Supporter
My favorite with leftover corned beef (if there is any) is to make corned beef hash...I almost like it better than the original dinner.
I make individual pies in 8 ounce ramekins with the leftover corned beef. Add a little cabbage, some potatoes, carrots, beef broth and enough flour to thicken. I like to top them with puff pastry.