Corned Beef

Theron

Keeper of the bees
Forum Supporter
Boil, bake, or slow cooker? What is your preferred method for preparing corned beef.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Crock pot for me.
SF

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I got one on sale and smoked it. No spice pack. Rinsed off, dry rub with black pepper, 2 hrs heavy smoked than wrap and slow and low cook 3hr. more. Oh ya..just make a bagel sandwich and have some pretzels. It doesn't pay homage to the Irish, unless they're Jewish ones..

Attachments

• 20230313_133705.jpg
    20230313_133705.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 9

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
We just cooked one in the crook pot. 5 hours I think. Reading the link above provided some good information regarding soaking in water for 8 hours to desalinate. We didn't do that. No wonder it was saltier than we like. Now I know better for next time.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Boiled with veggies; garlic, onion, carrot, potato, and cabbage. Veggie’s added in sequence so they’re tender crisp at serving. Vinegar and horseradish for condiments.
Just like my grandma in MA…New England boiled dinner. I still make it this exact way 50+ years later…

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Boiled with veggies; garlic, onion, carrot, potato, and cabbage. Veggie’s added in sequence so they’re tender crisp at serving. Vinegar and horseradish for condiments.
Just like my grandma in MA…New England boiled dinner. I still make it this exact way 50+ years later
A bit of mustard, your favorite one of course, is another great condiment option...
and mustard…whole grain…cook the brisket 45 mins per lb…

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Both. Ours comes from a friend who raises cattle, so it’s pre-brined in I-don’t-know-what for I-don’t-know-how-long, but when it comes to us it's drained and dry-rubbed with the ingredients. We...

1. Simmer for 45 minutes per pound.
2. Retain water.
3. Place in baking dish and bake @350 for 45 minutes.
4. Begin boiling the potatoes in the retained water.
5. After 25 minutes, add the cabbage, chopped carrots, and onions to the boiling water.
6. Drain vegetables, remove from heat, and cover.
7. Remove beef from oven, allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
8. Serve with hot beer bread and veggies.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Both. Ours comes from a friend who raises cattle, so it’s pre-brined in I-don’t-know-what for I-don’t-know-how-long, but when it comes to us it's drained and dry-rubbed with the ingredients. We...

1. Simmer for 45 minutes per pound.
2. Retain water.
3. Place in baking dish and bake @350 for 45 minutes.
4. Begin boiling the potatoes in the retained water.
5. After 25 minutes, add the cabbage, chopped carrots, and onions to the boiling water.
6. Drain vegetables, remove from heat, and cover.
7. Remove beef from oven, allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
8. Serve with hot beer bread and veggies.
I’m glad I read “bread” after “beer”…

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like to brown them on a CI pan first, then into the crock pot, slowly adding veggies by density.

Love to know the consensus on tips vs points though.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I remember going into a (so-called) deli in the PNW and asking if the corned beef was lean. The guy behind the counter (who clearly didn't grow up eating deli) said, very enthusiastically: Yes! Very lean!

Who the hell likes lean corned beef? I suppose it could have been worse. He could have asked if I wanted butter (or - gasp - mayo) on it.

Speaking of deli food, I ran into someone on a past Deschutes trip who had some home-smoked whitefish. It was every bit as good as I remember it from the delis when I was growing up. (Nowadays, you need to prequalify for financing if you're considering buying some!)

With whitefish in abundance around here I'd love to find someone who can tell me how to smoke it. I'd retain some instead of C&R all the time.