Columbia River Fish Counts 2022

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
So specifically what tule runs are they trying to protect. I thought most, if not all, of the lower CR hatchery fall chinook stocks were tule origin fish? Never has seemed like there was shortage of "fragrant" nookies this time of year.
The issue is they severely missed their preseason forecast and they have no way to update once it's set. So a situation like this year, when the runs of tules far, far exceed their forecast, we absolutely smoked that quota in short order.

I think it's all the lower river tule stocks, which, like @Salmo_g has pointed out elsewhere, are all hatchery in origin at this point, even if they're spawning in the gravel. Those native/wild stocks are functionally extinct. So the ESA really needs to update their guidelines.

Mtnsaremyhome

Steelhead
If most of the fish turn left in the lower reaches, I don't quite understand why they don't open it up from say I5-Bonnie?

Reactions: JS

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
If they don't re open this weekend I may brave the shit show above Bonnie just to fish
Time to wade out into the fray, lol. I’m glad I’m as far upriver as I am sometimes. That said, as soon as my early archery season is over, we’ll be downriver too.

On the upside, the fishing should be stupid good!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
If most of the fish turn left in the lower reaches, I don't quite understand why they don't open it up from say I5-Bonnie?
There's quite a few tules that go all the way to the Bonneville hatchery. I think that hatchery is the main indicator they use to count returns for them. Or it's at least one of them.

Though I've never once caught a single tule in the stretches I fish between I-5 and Bonnie. And I've caught a LOT in there. Most look like this:
1662650367643.png

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Nope, none personally. Occasionally these show up as well, but man they are fickle and most days they just jump around and give you the middle fin.

View attachment 31085
Was it you who was with me last year when that one rolled in front of me and I just did the figure 8 with like 3' of line out in front of me and it ate and shot straight up in the air and shook the hook out? That was one of my favorite eats ever.

Mtnsaremyhome

Steelhead
Was it you who was with me last year when that one rolled in front of me and I just did the figure 8 with like 3' of line out in front of me and it ate and shot straight up in the air and shook the hook out? That was one of my favorite eats ever.
Oh yeah that was a hoot! :ROFLMAO: your rod doubled over before it shot out like a rocket at your face, I had one bump into my leg about the same time, must have been a school

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Hopefully they don't talk to or take input from the same guys that got MA 13 closed.....
SF

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There's quite a few tules that go all the way to the Bonneville hatchery. I think that hatchery is the main indicator they use to count returns for them. Or it's at least one of them.

Though I've never once caught a single tule in the stretches I fish between I-5 and Bonnie. And I've caught a LOT in there. Most look like this:
View attachment 31083
I've caught some that look like in one of the more upstream tribs below bonnie with a supposedly tule run. Either that or they're URB strays. I tend to lean towards the latter having also caught uber-fragrant slimers in that crick.

klq@stl

Steelhead
Need about 12,000 more Fall Chinook over Bonneville to reach half a million. Numbers are tapering off.
Betting Line: Over or Under

Last edited:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I miss fishing the Kalama I just chuck a 9 wt in small water and got really sick of the zoo and the spotter/snaggers in fly only stretches using depth charged lines. Miss hooking the fish but burned out on the company. And potential rock throwing

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Got the good news yesterday that my weekend is going to be a good one :D Glad they're reopening my section, but it's a bummer it was closed for the peak of the run.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Need about 12,000 more Chinook over Bonneville to reach half a million. Numbers are tapering off.
Betting Line: Over or Under
Over or Under?????

We're already over, 736828 for the year. If you're talking "Fall" chinook specifically, I'll pick over for those dudes too.

Decent year for salmonids passing Bonneville. Quick estimate looks like over 1.6 million to date.

Last edited:

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Got the good news yesterday that my weekend is going to be a good one :D Glad they're reopening my section, but it's a bummer it was closed for the peak of the run.
Thanks for giving them a free pass over the wall. It's been fun. I hope your patience is rewarded with some giant second run coho.