Columbia River Fish Counts 2022

klq@stl

Steelhead
August 31, 2022.
26,206 over Bonneville Dam in one day. WOW!

115,621 Fall Salmon year to date.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
and I'm anticipating them closing salmon below Bonneville any day now. Just as I'm gearing up for my favorite "catch salmon close to home from the boat AND shore" season :(

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Even in my neck of the woods I've had to skip/avoid some places that have large fish with some white fungal spots, pretty cool.

klq@stl

Steelhead
The Chinook fishery is only closed in the lower Columbia below Puget Island. I need to pay more attention to the fine print.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Booooooooo.... stop killing Thules :mad: fingers crossed for a soon re-opening so I can have a good excuse to drive from Idaho to hang out with @Evan B

Yep, people need to stop killing those roof racks….. ;)
SF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
This really, really bums me out. A lot. I look forward to this fishery in my backyard every year. I know it always has shut downs like this, but this one feels more permanent. I don't know that it'll reopen before October 1.

Had plans to take my dad and a few out of town friends who are visiting in September. So much for that :(

All because there were MORE fish than predicted. Makes perfect sense.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Bums me out too. I was scheduled to fish the 8, 9, and 10th. I can handle not going salmon fishing. What really bums me out is that the closure is because the allowable "take" of ESA Tule Chinook has been exceeded. Ordinarily this would make sense to me. The reason it doesn't make sense in because the fishery managers, and in this case NMFS, all pretend that LCR Tules are a natural stock that can be recovered to a naturally self-sustaining status. They can't. They are functionally extinct as a natural stock. Natural spawners exist only because millions of hatchery Tules are produced and released every year, and some of them stray and spawn naturally. I do believe that some of those hatchery fish spawning naturally do produce offspring that survive to return and also naturally reproduce. However, the numbers IMO are so small and variable that Tules statistically have no chance of recovery. If all hatchery Tule production ceased, Tule returns would rapidly disappear. They would disappear because the historical habitat used by Tules is degraded to the point that naturally self-sustaining Tule populations are not possible. And that habitat, under current and proposed environmental protection regulations, will remain unable to support naturally self-sustaining Tule Chinook for the foreseeable future, as in 100 years or more. The habitat is in industrial forest land, agricultural land, rural residential, and other compromised habitat types. There is no lucid reason to expect Tules to ever recover. Yet those who implement the ESA continue to pretend that any listed population can be recovered IF ONLY we just keep at our recovery efforts. In direct denial of pretty plain evidence to the contrary.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
And the silver train keeps a rollin!
Really, really hoping for an announcement of reopening below Bonneville. It's so painful to have this happening down the street from my house and no ability to go enjoy it.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
This really, really bums me out. A lot. I look forward to this fishery in my backyard every year. I know it always has shut downs like this, but this one feels more permanent. I don't know that it'll reopen before October 1.

Had plans to take my dad and a few out of town friends who are visiting in September. So much for that :(

All because there were MORE fish than predicted. Makes perfect sense.
It’s the dumbest shit ever, especially because there are still non tribal nets out below Bonnie.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
It’s the dumbest shit ever, especially because there are still non tribal nets out below Bonnie.
If they don't re open this weekend I may brave the shit show above Bonnie just to fish.

• Love
Reactions: JS

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So specifically what tule runs are they trying to protect. I thought most, if not all, of the lower CR hatchery fall chinook stocks were tule origin fish? Never has seemed like there was shortage of "fragrant" nookies this time of year.