Colorful Fall Trout

G_Smolt

Legend
1st one looks anadromous to me. Does that stretch of river support steelhead or searun cutts?
I agree the top one looks as if it spent part of its life in saltwater, especially the "silvering" on the middle rays of the caudal...but this particular flow ends up in the gulf of Mexico. Adfluvial fish often display that attribute as well, but these fish were taken within 400yds of the upstream end of this particular system, and the nearest downstream lake that might produce such a fish is over 120 river miles downstream and the route is impeded by a run-of-the-river dam with no fish passage.

Still a pretty cool looking fish!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I agree the top one looks as if it spent part of its life in saltwater, especially the "silvering" on the middle rays of the caudal...but this particular flow ends up in the gulf of Mexico. Adfluvial fish often display that attribute as well, but these fish were taken within 400yds of the upstream end of this particular system, and the nearest downstream lake that might produce such a fish is over 120 river miles downstream and the route is impeded by a run-of-the-river dam with no fish passage.

Still a pretty cool looking fish!
So interesting. And the best part is they are both gorgeous. Take care of that fishery! (y)

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Whoa. I've never seen that quality of a a resident come out of the Clack. Impressive.
I'm blown away by the fish up there... between the fire shutdowns and covid, maybe they're getting a chance to grow before the campers swoop them all up with rooster tails and PB... we should probably keep this on the DL...

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm blown away by the fish up there... between the fire shutdowns and covid, maybe they're getting a chance to grow before the campers swoop them all up with rooster tails and PB... we should probably keep this on the DL...
Awesome! Well as of today, it's also closed above the dams ;)

MarkR

Smolt
Love the fall

Attachments

• 3083D7FD-9D21-45BF-A09A-2FF7A248DD93.jpeg
    3083D7FD-9D21-45BF-A09A-2FF7A248DD93.jpeg
    663.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 3BD34CED-C93F-4E7B-AFEB-EE222CF2706C.jpeg
    3BD34CED-C93F-4E7B-AFEB-EE222CF2706C.jpeg
    902.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 42782AE7-7A54-45B1-9910-7E0844EFEC0B.jpeg
    42782AE7-7A54-45B1-9910-7E0844EFEC0B.jpeg