Coffee talk

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So per @Matt B, I had to get the extension tube for my Fresh Roast Sr540. Best unexpected news is that I am able to increase the volume that I can roast. It's amazing the increase in agitation that you get with it and I was able to roast at half the power and fan speed that I usually do. I didn't really dial it in since I roasted in-between work calls, but can't wait to try to dial in my new roast settings.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
So per @Matt B, I had to get the extension tube for my Fresh Roast Sr540. Best unexpected news is that I am able to increase the volume that I can roast. It's amazing the increase in agitation that you get with it and I was able to roast at half the power and fan speed that I usually do. I didn't really dial it in since I roasted in-between work calls, but can't wait to try to dial in my new roast settings.
It really is surprising what an improvement it is, and raises the question of why it isn’t redesigned that way for good. It just works so much better, if a tad awkwardly tall.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Just out of curiosity, do you guys use that in the house or outside? The YT video from the company says that it will set off smoke detectors....

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Just out of curiosity, do you guys use that in the house or outside? The YT video from the company says that it will set off smoke detectors....
It may or may not set off a smoke detector. I only did a small batch in the house once, kitchen windows open, under the oven hood, and the fumes were a bit much. When it was too cold in the garage I roasted in our tiny “mud room” which isn’t heated but is warmer than the garage. The fumes smell good, they’re just intense for the house and can linger.

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'll do mine in the house. In my old house I was able to get away but that underneath the range hood with the windows open. My new range hood sucks and so I'm going to have to move to the garage now

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter

I have an SR800, same thing just a little larger. I do mine in my kitchen. There is one smoke alarm in our house that it will set off so I just have a fan we keep in our living room that I point up towards it and then it doesn't happen.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
How do you guys like to store your roasted beans? When I originally bought my roaster I also picked up a fair amount of resealable one way bags to store beans in that would allow them to off gas. They worked well enough, but the zip lock style seal has been basically ripping off them one by one now that they are a few years old so I'm gonna need to either order some more soon or go a different route.

I typically roast 3-4 batches of 225g at a time, as that'll last me a week and a half to two weeks, and I like to have a little variety to choose from in the mornings. So, what do use for storage of your freshly roasted beans?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
How do you guys like to store your roasted beans? When I originally bought my roaster I also picked up a fair amount of resealable one way bags to store beans in that would allow them to off gas. They worked well enough, but the zip lock style seal has been basically ripping off them one by one now that they are a few years old so I'm gonna need to either order some more soon or go a different route.

I typically roast 3-4 batches of 225g at a time, as that'll last me a week and a half to two weeks, and I like to have a little variety to choose from in the mornings. So, what do use for storage of your freshly roasted beans?
Nick - I usually roast once a week, I have three quart jars and a porcelain (Starwarbucks) container. I don’t screw the lids on tight with the jars so there’s never any pressure, same with the porcelain container.
IMG_3775.jpeg

I roast one cup (volume) of beans at a time, usually one cup of one flavor and one cup of another.

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

I use a stainless metal storage cylinder with a lid + okay gasket, or mason jars if I have more than one variety around. I let my batches off gas with the lids off for a day or two before I store with the lid on.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
The darker roast is good. It got real mellow and a little sweet. I would call it a crowd pleaser.

The light roast of this El Salvador reminds me of coffee I got at Mela in Wenatchee this week. Their drip coffee options include a light roast that’s a little fruity with a dry finish that keeps me coming back for refills. I asked what they use; it’s a Colombian-origin blend.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
The darker roast is good. It got real mellow and a little sweet. I would call it a crowd pleaser.

The light roast of this El Salvador reminds me of coffee I got at Mela in Wenatchee this week. Their drip coffee options include a light roast that’s a little fruity with a dry finish that keeps me coming back for refills. I asked what they use; it’s a Colombian-origin blend.
Rod - where did you get the El Salvadorian (sp?) beans?

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist