Coated Running Line Crowd - solution?

Divad

Whitefish
I’ve been through various mono lines, the lazar, the dazar, absolute flat yata yata but I like a good coated line from time.

The issue is my coated SA running line cannot withstand winter weather, cracking within a month or two. I am tempted to try Rio’s but even on sale at $35 it feels criminal too, for something w/o much r&d I mean it’s level coated mono...🤓

Is there a cheap fly line that anybody has used for a running line? Or tried the Maxcatxh or Aventik cheapo ones?

Was thinking of breaking out the calipers at the fly bargain bin and finding something .035ish.

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
I got a 4 wt line from sierra , and put it on backwards. It’s been good for a couple of seasons

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I only use coated lines, never seen one crack in winter, both Airflo and SA.
Just say no to RIO!

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I have 3 or 4 SA dragontails(my fav) that are over 10ys old and still going strong!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
A friend told about the Wulff running line, and I got it last summer. Been liking it very much thus far.

iggie

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Airflo ridge. gave up on Rio when it sold. when the Airflo shows wear I cut that part off and put a new loop.

Divad

Whitefish
I have had good luck with Steve Godshall’s running lines. He can make up about anything you’d want.
(541)840-2594
Interesting idea I haven’t seen that recommendation yet. I may just give him a ring to see if he can beat what seems to be the popular Wolff line.

Styskal

Smolt
I personally can't stand coated running lines anymore. If I do use one it's usually a Wulff. And maybe one of my old guide line's. Never Rio been disappointed to many times.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
What kills coated running lines is pulling on them when you get snagged up. It's best to try and retrieve your line until you can get a hold of the head. It's not as bad as it used to be with the advent of non-stretch cores, but it still messes them up after a few times of extreme tugging.