Click reels vs. disc drag reel for spey rods?

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm a clicker guy for sure. But that said, not all clickers are the same. Many of the new (and old) hardy's I've played with are way too light on the tension. Over spin when you pull line off, and not enough tension to even prick the tip of the hook into a fish. I've watch plenty of bites where the line starts coming off and the fish is just able to drop it.

This is one reason I like the Speyco reels. With all 6 springs in, it's tighter than I would ever fish a disc drag reel, with no risk of slippage or hydroplaning like I have witnessed with even high end drag reels. As for the two Hardys I do fish with, both have replacement springs from Archeletta reel works to make the tension quite a bit tighter.

I have to disagree about landing the fish quicker on a drag reel. Some people will and some won't. Depends on experience. I can put the wood to a fish as hard as I want with a clicker that is easily palmable, but when he makes those quick dives near the end game, I can ease pressure and reduce the number of hook pulls near the net. This is one problem I see with drags occasionally if they are too tight. More fish lost near the net/beach. And with every reel often a bit different, you reach down to lighten or tighten a drag during the fight and you just don't know where you're at anymore. I've witnessed reels go into freespool or lockdown/breakoff mode when the drag is adjusted in the middle of a fight and the adrenaline is flowing.

When I do fish a drag reel, it's set about the same as a strong clicker. never touch the drag. At which point there's really no difference between the two.

also have to agree, Chinook are different.
Even when using a disc drag reel, I set it with only enough tension to prevent free-spooling when a fish takes off. From then on, I prefer to palm the reel for more positive control. before this, I have broken fish off by having the tension set too tightly.

B

bennysbuddy

That's a J, W. Young and Sons reel branded as a Marvel from Allcock and Co. Produced in the 1920s.
Springs are thick, pawl has a shoulder that provides more leverage and keeps it from free-wheeling. The gear is sized large so as to provide more movement of the pawl against the spring. All and all, a true salmon reel built by an engineering firm.
The trouble is they don’t make them anymore, dang it anyway

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Personally, I used to love the sound of a loud clicker. I've since moved the opposite direction and prefer NOT to let every single person know exactly where I am and how hot the bite is. Some of it is not wanting to potentially spook fish (like Carp or Muskies--also a reason I talk very quietly when fish for them...unless it's after the fact) That said, I'm not getting rid of my JW Young Beaudex any time soon (although its springs aren't obnoxiously loud). Nor is my old Medalist (the click it makes IS obnoxious) going anywhere.

Clickers are mostly all I use for freshwater fishing, including steelhead and trout two-handed angling. I would agree with others that a good spring and pawl reel is plenty sufficient for steelhead angling. Vintage clickers like Hardy Perfects and new reels like Farlex that have a similar look are more appealing to me from an aesthetics perspective, and I like the growl they emit when a fish is taking line. That said, they’re not for everyone. I still have a few larger disc drag reels that I’m hanging on to mostly in case I ever have the opportunity to fish for chinook again (did so in Alaska a few times but haven’t been in years) or get around to tropical saltwater or musky/pike fishing.

SignorVince

Just Hatched
I was having problems with some of the thinner (Slickshooter, Lazer) lines slipping in between the spool and frame of some of my open cage reels.
I decided to try closing in the gap between the spool and frame using Loon UV Knot Sense. After cleaning any oil off with alcohol, I put 2 dots each on both upper and lower frame contact points, making sure to reduce the gap as much as possible. So far, it's working very well, and I haven't had a problem since.
I suppose epoxy might work also, but I like the UV because I can zap it in place before it has a chance to level out.

*Photo removed for space*

Thanks for sharing this! I've been having the debate on whether I should replace my Redington Rise that I was thinking of using for my spey rod or if it would suffice. Didn't think of this but definitely will put it into practice if I need to!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
They wouldn't sell in today's fly fishing world. They look too much like a fly reel and not so much a part of the starship Enterprise.
So true, I just don't like the looks of some many "modern" reels; but I suppose being vintage in my own right might have something to do with it.

I have an Orvis CFO VI, big, noisy and beautiful.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I grew up with a Hardy LRH on my trout rod and have Hardy reels for each of my two handed rods, ranging from four weight to seven weight. Love to hear the reels sing. Not worried about about letting other people know where I am because it’s obvious standing knee deep in the river….

G_Smolt

Legend
I've gone back and forth multiple times, and finally settled on clickyclicky reels for my small trout and summer run steelhead spraypoles, and drag reels for the chinook, winter run SH, and AK trout twigs. Truth be told, one of the only reasons I started fishing clickyclicky reels in the first place was to annoy my fishin' partners...

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
So true, I just don't like the looks of some many "modern" reels; but I suppose being vintage in my own right might have something to do with it.

I have an Orvis CFO VI, big, noisy and beautiful.
I know you hit the BC lakes. Have you noticed that the noise attracts loons?

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I know you hit the BC lakes. Have you noticed that the noise attracts loons?
Noise does attract loons, like fish jumping and or splashing next to the boat or pontoon or float tube. I do think loons know that when people are fishing, they have improved odds of catching a fish that an angler releases. On one small lake we fished, there were a pair of loons that kind of followed us around. A couple times when Herb was hooked up, I distracted the loons towards my pontoon by rapidly stirring and slapping the water with one hand - I think the loons focused on that noise - sounding like I had a fish ready to net. Seeing one of those red-eyed birds fly under my pontoon a few feet from my finned waders was a bit distracting. I never associated a click reel screeming with loon attraction other than this loon loves the sound of a screaming clicker.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Noise does attract loons, like fish jumping and or splashing next to the boat or pontoon or float tube. I do think loons know that when people are fishing, they have improved odds of catching a fish that an angler releases. On one small lake we fished, there were a pair of loons that kind of followed us around. A couple times when Herb was hooked up, I distracted the loons towards my pontoon by rapidly stirring and slapping the water with one hand - I think the loons focused on that noise - sounding like I had a fish ready to net. Seeing one of those red-eyed birds fly under my pontoon a few feet from my finned waders was a bit distracting. I never associated a click reel screeming with loon attraction other than this loon loves the sound of a screaming clicker.
I had a loon on one trip figure it out. He knew the clicking reel meant there would soon be a fish to the boat. I would spend a little extra time reviving the fish so they could take off quick.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I had a loon on one trip figure it out. He knew the clicking reel meant there would soon be a fish to the boat. I would spend a little extra time reviving the fish so they could take off quick.
They're beautiful birds and really smart. One lake we fish off Greenstone Mtn a Bald Eagle stole a trout from a loon. That was fun to watch and very loud....

Divad

Whitefish
Clicker hands down but always rim control.

Look for screw adjustment, dual pawl designs they’re the best I believe. Fully serviceable which is huge for longevity and overall trust in my equipment. I’ve had a very nice “sealed” reel go tits up on a trip and now am sold on dual pawl designs. Granted I run one pawl 99% of the time unless I’m two handing for some stupid big salt fish.