Click reels vs. disc drag reel for spey rods?

HOG

GOTY’s mum’s favorite ghillie
Rob’s correct. I like my SA System II discs and also my speyco clicker, personal preference is what it comes down to, end of the day it’s just a line holder.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Depends on what you are fishing for.

Steelhead, then the above info holds. Chinook, you may be better served by a very strong drag and even that might not be enough. Although given you note a 7wt, probably not targeting Chinook.

prmike307

Smolt
Also, I use mono running/shooting lines, diameters .022" and larger. Any have trouble with mono slipping through the frame of say a Hardy Perfect versus a full cage spey reel like the Sage Spey reel or the Lamson full cage reels?

Russell

Steelhead
The clicker adds an audible experience that adds to the fight. If your spool is not counterbalanced it will also give physical feedback from a fast run. This exciting feedback is what I find missing from the dragged reels when fishing steelhead and salmon.

prmike307

Smolt
The clicker adds an audible experience that adds to the fight. If your spool is not counterbalanced it will also give physical feedback from a fast run. This exciting feedback is what I find missing from the dragged reels when fishing steelhead and salmon.
Yeah, I know about the audible click from fishing with friends; all my spey reels are disc drag

Russell

Steelhead
Also, I use mono running/shooting lines, diameters .022" and larger. Any have trouble with mono slipping through the frame of say a Hardy Perfect versus a full cage spey reel like the Sage Spey reel or the Lamson full cage reels?
A perfect is a full cage reel

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was having problems with some of the thinner (Slickshooter, Lazer) lines slipping in between the spool and frame of some of my open cage reels.
I decided to try closing in the gap between the spool and frame using Loon UV Knot Sense. After cleaning any oil off with alcohol, I put 2 dots each on both upper and lower frame contact points, making sure to reduce the gap as much as possible. So far, it's working very well, and I haven't had a problem since.
I suppose epoxy might work also, but I like the UV because I can zap it in place before it has a chance to level out.

Reel Fix.jpg

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I’m a fan of drags. I like having the ability to put the boots to them and reel in a fish quickly. I love the sound of a clicker, but that’s about it.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm a clicker guy for sure. But that said, not all clickers are the same. Many of the new (and old) hardy's I've played with are way too light on the tension. Over spin when you pull line off, and not enough tension to even prick the tip of the hook into a fish. I've watch plenty of bites where the line starts coming off and the fish is just able to drop it.

This is one reason I like the Speyco reels. With all 6 springs in, it's tighter than I would ever fish a disc drag reel, with no risk of slippage or hydroplaning like I have witnessed with even high end drag reels. As for the two Hardys I do fish with, both have replacement springs from Archeletta reel works to make the tension quite a bit tighter.

I have to disagree about landing the fish quicker on a drag reel. Some people will and some won't. Depends on experience. I can put the wood to a fish as hard as I want with a clicker that is easily palmable, but when he makes those quick dives near the end game, I can ease pressure and reduce the number of hook pulls near the net. This is one problem I see with drags occasionally if they are too tight. More fish lost near the net/beach. And with every reel often a bit different, you reach down to lighten or tighten a drag during the fight and you just don't know where you're at anymore. I've witnessed reels go into freespool or lockdown/breakoff mode when the drag is adjusted in the middle of a fight and the adrenaline is flowing.

When I do fish a drag reel, it's set about the same as a strong clicker. never touch the drag. At which point there's really no difference between the two.

also have to agree, Chinook are different.

@_WW_ Looks like that one would have some proper tension.

What reel is that? Spring configuration isn't familiar, though I don't pretend to be a reel expert/historian.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
That's a J, W. Young and Sons reel branded as a Marvel from Allcock and Co. Produced in the 1920s.
Springs are thick, pawl has a shoulder that provides more leverage and keeps it from free-wheeling. The gear is sized large so as to provide more movement of the pawl against the spring. All and all, a true salmon reel built by an engineering firm.