Clearwater River Rod Advice?

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
Poppy is the man! Call the Red Shed. When you pick up a beautiful Meiser šŸ˜‚,Poppy will send you some Gaelforce lines to test out free of charge. Canā€™t say enough good things about the man.

I have one of those 9140 rods will handle any fish you run into out here. I fished it with a 9/10 delta. So a Gaelforce 54 or Vector 9/10 should be a good match for that rod. I have seen everything from 6wt switch rods to 17' 10/11 rods. Ealry run with the water still high I fish my sage 8124-3 and a steelhead scandi. Then once they drop the water I switch to a 15'0 7/8/9 paired with a 64' Equlizer. 54'ish heads are a great fishing length.

On a side note I am glad that I found this pnwflyfishing! Didn't even know it was a thing

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fished it for my first time last fall and picked up a Burkie 8142. Poppy set me up with a GF 63' in 8/9 and it was a dream to fish. I went with the integrated line because I like to start short. Work out to 9 or 10 pulls and you are well over 100'. Definitely felt like the river needed all of that and I'd love to go back with a 15 or 16'er. If I had more confidence in that system staying open long term I'd probably invest in one.

Just picked up a Delta multi tip and a Delta Long multi tip for the 8142, excited to see how it goes for winter fishing.

RWBAILEY

Smolt
If I could Iā€™d list out all my Clearwater sticksā€¦ the collection has grown.

But if you talk with Poppy and fish a green butt skunk like he surely will say you should find success.

cmann886

Freshly Spawned
My new favorite rod for the Clearwater is a Walker 16ā€™6ā€ 8/9 with a Boss long 8/9. Before that it was a Steve Godshall 16ā€™7ā€ 7. My first CW Rod was a 14ā€™ 7/8 with a GF 54.
ker