Chopaka Trip 9/8

dep

Steelhead
heading up to Chopaka for a few days next week. we typically go this time of year after Labor Day and hoping the weather cools down.
curious if anyone has been up recently with updates on roads conditions, bears, moose, bigfoot or anything out of the usual.
are they still logging?
any info is greatly appreciated.

thanks-dp

Flymph

Steelhead
Please be aware that we are at extreme fire danger for the entire county. Be careful out there as more and more wildfires are popping up!

dep

Steelhead
got back on Sunday and here is a condensed report (I'll spare you the quality drinking and eating that we did).
No crowds - arrived on Thursday and 4 sites were taken up. by Saturday I believe 7 or 8 spots were being used.
shared the water with 6-8 people each day. spent the majority of the time in the middle area and to the shallower side (not sure if this is the north or south end).
Hot set up was intermediate lines using assorted buggers or hares ear. the latter getting me most of my fish each day.
there was some wind initially and then it settled down to calm and then the smoke came in Saturday afternoon and pretty heavy on Sunday.
there were a couple of sprinkles on Sunday too.
the closure of Highway 2 caused backups on 97 going towards I-90. in the evening (after 8:00) it was fine.

fished ranged from little dinks to 19 inches. strong fighters who took some line at times.
No fires! good dry fly action when the water flatten out. the eagle was out!
my chiro game sucked.
the Chopaka grade was in great shape.

PM or you want more details. Fantastic trip!

dp

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
got back on Sunday and here is a condensed report (I'll spare you the quality drinking and eating that we did).
No crowds - arrived on Thursday and 4 sites were taken up. by Saturday I believe 7 or 8 spots were being used.
shared the water with 6-8 people each day. spent the majority of the time in the middle area and to the shallower side (not sure if this is the north or south end).
Hot set up was intermediate lines using assorted buggers or hares ear. the latter getting me most of my fish each day.
there was some wind initially and then it settled down to calm and then the smoke came in Saturday afternoon and pretty heavy on Sunday.
there were a couple of sprinkles on Sunday too.
the closure of Highway 2 caused backups on 97 going towards I-90. in the evening (after 8:00) it was fine.

fished ranged from little dinks to 19 inches. strong fighters who took some line at times.
No fires! good dry fly action when the water flatten out. the eagle was out!
my chiro game sucked.
the Chopaka grade was in great shape.

PM or you want more details. Fantastic trip!

dp
Just interested in how much you drank. I still know what fish look like.. Haven't been high for almost a year now. My drinking has suffered for a while now.

dep

Steelhead
well.....
night one: beer and whiskey
night two: beer and wine
night three: beer and whiskey
beer consumption was while fishing
there was smoke in the campsite nightly also - can't confirm if it was from the wild fires or not though.
there was no cigar smoke for sure
they say drinking and smoking will kill you - I'm a gonner!

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
well.....
night one: beer and whiskey
night two: beer and wine
night three: beer and whiskey
beer consumption was while fishing
there was smoke in the campsite nightly also - can't confirm if it was from the wild fires or not though.
there was no cigar smoke for sure
they say drinking and smoking will kill you - I'm a gonner!
I quit smoking 30 years ago or so. I still drink sometimes, but have cut back on that also. I usually only drink when I'm alone or with somebody.