Cheap indicator.

onefish

Steelhead
I got tired of indicators not working properly as they stretched out so this is what I did

Drill out your foam indicator/bobber and epoxy in a plastic sleeve. Coat the whole indicator with a clear coat such as epoxy ( extends the life of the orange paint exterior ). The peg fits in the plastic sleeve you have glued in. I have some indicators that are on their 3rd season now. The indicator peg holds just as well as it did on day one, the paint on the indicator is another story. A mostly white indicator with a bit of orange now.
It takes a bit of time to build these but once they are done they are pretty well bullet proof and they never "pop" while casting which can be rather annoying.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I got tired of indicators not working properly as they stretched out so this is what I did

Drill out your foam indicator/bobber and epoxy in a plastic sleeve. Coat the whole indicator with a clear coat such as epoxy ( extends the life of the orange paint exterior ). The peg fits in the plastic sleeve you have glued in. I have some indicators that are on their 3rd season now. The indicator peg holds just as well as it did on day one, the paint on the indicator is another story. A mostly white indicator with a bit of orange now.
It takes a bit of time to build these but once they are done they are pretty well bullet proof and they never "pop" while casting which can be rather annoying.
Do you lose a little buoyancy with the sleeve and epoxy? My Farmer McGee method doesn’t seem to reduce buoyancy but I do have issues sometimes with the peg releasing on a cast (or not with a fish on).

onefish

Steelhead
Do you lose a little buoyancy with the sleeve and epoxy? My Farmer McGee method doesn’t seem to reduce buoyancy but I do have issues sometimes with the peg releasing on a cast (or not with a fish on).
I suppose I lose a little buoyancy but it is negligible. I know I have given a few of my modified indicators to fishing buddies and they don't switch back to the unmodified ones once they have tried mine. Being able to consistently peg the indicator at the desired resistence where it survives casting but still trips when a fish is being played is worth the hassle.
When you spend more time fishing and less time buggering about you end up catching more fish as well.

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I suppose I lose a little buoyancy but it is negligible. I know I have given a few of my modified indicators to fishing buddies and they don't switch back to the unmodified ones once they have tried mine. Being able to consistently peg the indicator at the desired resistence where it survives casting but still trips when a fish is being played is worth the hassle.
When you spend more time fishing and less time buggering about you end up catching more fish as well.
What do you use for the plastic sleeve?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
when the holes get stretched I spray the incidator, inside the hole, with orange paint, and apply a thin UV coat or two on the peg.
And that gets you this:

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
It is amazing to hear guys with $500-$900 fly rods, $400 reels, $115 lines wearing $600 waders and $250 boots rhapsodize about saving $0.25 on a tiny piece of cork!
It's a celebration of one of the few things in this expensive hobby we can actually manage to fabricate ourselves (besides tying flies).

I feel guilty every time I use one of the outrageously expensive $3.50 Oros indicators, despite the fact they work so well.

Last edited:

onefish

Steelhead
It is amazing to hear guys with $500-$900 fly rods, $400 reels, $115 lines wearing $600 waders and $250 boots rhapsodize about saving $0.25 on a tiny piece of cork!
I could care less about the cost, it is the inconvenience of using worn out indicators that either won't pop with a fish on because you have jammed the peg in too far or a wasted cast when the damn thing pops during the cast. When the bite is on time wasted frigging around with indicators costs you fish, end of story. I like catching fish so I like to reduce as many time wasting endeavours as possible.

Now, saving money on your rods, reels, lines etc I can appreciate.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oh, so now it's a competition to see who can catch fish on the cheapest rods? I think I got this with a Cabela's Three Forks model on closeout for $35.
Not bad, color me jealous, my combo of the same was $45. The reel is crap, but the rod is fantastic.