Cheap indicator.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I could care less about the cost, it is the inconvenience of using worn out indicators that either won't pop with a fish on because you have jammed the peg in too far or a wasted cast when the damn thing pops during the cast. When the bite is on time wasted frigging around with indicators costs you fish, end of story. I like catching fish so I like to reduce as many time wasting endeavours as possible.

Now, saving money on your rods, reels, lines etc I can appreciate.
I’m intrigued to see if I too can reduce the number of times I blow a cast because my bobber peg pops during the cast. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Flymph

Steelhead
Oh, so now it's a competition to see who can catch fish on the cheapest rods? I think I got this with a Cabela's Three Forks model on closeout for $35.
Have to be pretty old but try to remember White Elephant, one piece rod blanks, White Elephant components (glued cork rings, thread, simple reel seat, cheap varnish, 5 cent guides, and 25 cent tip top) for a very functional rod under $10 total price. Still have two left that are well over 40 years old.

When my pegs start to ware down my bobbers, I simply put the peg in the other end until it wares down. At that point I paint the inside as others have mentioned.

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
I use the teardrop shaped orange/white slip (Iracators) “bobbers” - you’re right about the foam compressing - to the point the the peg won’t peg anymore. I started coating and curing using UV resin inside the foam bore. My bodkin works well for applying the resin, a couple applications, a peg test fit and my bobbers are functional again.
Brilliant!!

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
It is amazing to hear guys with $500-$900 fly rods, $400 reels, $115 lines wearing $600 waders and $250 boots rhapsodize about saving $0.25 on a tiny piece of cork!
I'll bet there are some out there that scour Walmart parking lots for used condoms. Just take 'em home, wash 'em (or not), inflate, then tie 'em on. Violà

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Have to be pretty old but try to remember White Elephant, one piece rod blanks, White Elephant components (glued cork rings, thread, simple reel seat, cheap varnish, 5 cent guides, and 25 cent tip top) for a very functional rod under $10 total price. Still have two left that are well over 40 years old.

When my pegs start to ware down my bobbers, I simply put the peg in the other end until it wares down. At that point I paint the inside as others have mentioned.
I miss White Elephant!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
These were 5 for $4 at sportsman's. I got 3 days out of this one until both ends wore out. I ended up knotting it in place to finish out the day yesterday. I figure I'm into it about a penny a fish. To me, that's cheap. I should have replaced it instead of fighting it for the last hour. I'm going to try the UV coat on the inside of a couple.
20230228_usedindi.jpg

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
These were 5 for $4 at sportsman's. I got 3 days out of this one until both ends wore out. I ended up knotting it in place to finish out the day yesterday. I figure I'm into it about a penny a fish. To me, that's cheap. I should have replaced it instead of fighting it for the last hour. I'm going to try the UV coat on the inside of a couple.
How deep were you fishing? You probably realized this already, but when fishing is fast and furious, and I'm fishing a depth =/< my rod length, I find it easier to just go to a non-QR indicator. Gotta love an indicator bite where you get tired of re-setting the QR indicator.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
How deep were you fishing? You probably realized this already, but when fishing is fast and furious, and I'm fishing a depth =/< my rod length, I find it easier to just go to a non-QR indicator. Gotta love an indicator bite where you get tired of re-setting the QR indicator.
The deal was I was adjusting depth quite often. AND ticking things behind me on the backcast! At today's lake I set I set once hard, and rest later about 18" deeper. Bobber still looks new. But I do have one's that can be more fixed, and that's a good point, about 8' or less it doesn't provide much benefit other than a quick depth change.

spooky007

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I like jaydacators… Fish them fixed 10’ or less.. Will run bobber stops anything over 10’… No need to have to reset the depth in a hot bite…