Cheap indicator.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I was surprised how fast my styrofoam slip indicator fell apart recently. The hole would compress quickly and the line would slice into the foam. So, me being the cheap ass that I am looked on the internet for cork balls. Found some cheap with free shipping. Just as I was congratulating myself on my thrifyness I looked at my junk pile and noticed the pile of wine corks I'm supposed to be recycling. What if? So I took out the bread knife and sliced one up. Found my drill and made the appropriate sized hole and, voila! a cheap indicator. Of course, you have got to hold on to your old pegs for this to work...I'll report back after I actually use one. Ya, I know, us retirees are always looking for something to do....

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I was surprised how fast my styrofoam slip indicator fell apart recently. The hole would compress quickly and the line would slice into the foam. So, me being the cheap ass that I am looked on the internet for cork balls. Found some cheap with free shipping. Just as I was congratulating myself on my thrifyness I looked at my junk pile and noticed the pile of wine corks I'm supposed to be recycling. What if? So I took out the bread knife and sliced one up. Found my drill and made the appropriate sized hole and, voila! a cheap indicator. Of course, you have got to hold on to your old pegs for this to work...I'll report back after I actually use one. Ya, I know, us retirees are always looking for something to do....

Can we see this homemade indicator, carved with a bread knife after polishing off a bottle of wine?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

I use the teardrop shaped orange/white slip (Iracators) “bobbers” - you’re right about the foam compressing - to the point the the peg won’t peg anymore. I started coating and curing using UV resin inside the foam bore. My bodkin works well for applying the resin, a couple applications, a peg test fit and my bobbers are functional again.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I made some out of wine corks a few years ago. After the knife they were still really lopsided so I did a bunch of work with the Dremel. I glued a little plastic tubing inside like @Shawn Seeger does with his corkies. Just never quite happy with them. The foam pear shape seem more sensitive to me. I found when I started using the foam ones I was pushing the peg in way further than it needed to be to cast and release. Running the peg down on the little end can increase the life (a 2nd life?) and the float can't get below my ring. I do have a couple beat up ones with adhesive inside like @Buzzy mentioned and they seem to still work fine.

Divad

Whitefish
I made the nieces and nephew true corkies from the 8mm cork balls. Hole drilled and spray paint, they work great!

I did this too @Wetswinger The 20mm serve as their makeshift bobbers, hole drilled and loop knotted. I don’t feel so bad when they lose them to the trees.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter