Carp

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Ok carp gurus, what hooks do you prefer for your carp endeavors?

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'd be the world's worst
you DID give me just about the best piece of advice that has helped my carp fishing. "Once you think they move on the fly, wait a second or two." That alone made all the difference in the world.....well, that and I finally got a little better at actually seeing the damn invasives.

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
you DID give me just about the best piece of advice that has helped my carp fishing. "Once you think they move on the fly, wait a second or two." That alone made all the difference in the world.....well, that and I finally got a little better at actually seeing the damn invasives.
That’s the part I still struggle with, seeing them. But I am getting better at looking for the right kind of movement before it turns into a fish, though, and I’m casting to fewer branches and rocks.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
That’s the part I still struggle with, seeing them. But I am getting better at looking for the right kind of movement before it turns into a fish, though, and I’m casting to fewer branches and rocks.
It takes me a trip or two every spring to get my eyes readjusted to not casting to the shadow of a particular rock or two; sometimes though that shadow or that rock just looks like a carp. There's one rock that I swear has fooled me into a couple casts every year for the past five years. Then there's @Engee - I watched him cast and cast and cast and...... repeatedly cast to a tire casing that from his angle looked like a monster carp and from my angle an good laugh.

Engee

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It takes me a trip or two every spring to get my eyes readjusted to not casting to the shadow of a particular rock or two; sometimes though that shadow or that rock just looks like a carp. There's one rock that I swear has fooled me into a couple casts every year for the past five years. Then there's @Engee - I watched him cast and cast and cast and...... repeatedly cast to a tire casing that from his angle looked like a monster carp and from my angle an good laugh.
My Carp trip two weeks ago had me casting to some ghost Carp again, but I did end up finding some aggressive guys. Six Carp to hand and two more that came off after a good fight. One small smally too. The Carp I was casting to were more aggressive than I've seen in years. They were chasing the fly, and I had no trouble seeing the take. I even got a couple of cruisers to take the fly while it was sinking. Great adrenaline producer!

My Carp trip two weeks ago had me casting to some ghost Carp again, but I did end up finding some aggressive guys. Six Carp to hand and two more that came off after a good fight. One small smally too. The Carp I was casting to were more aggressive than I've seen in years. They were chasing the fly, and I had no trouble seeing the take. I even got a couple of cruisers to take the fly while it was sinking. Great adrenaline producer!
That's crazy! Never seen 'em so aggressive.. I've only gotten them to eat a fly while they're actively feeding/tailing... good on you!

Bass-O-Matic

Life of the Party
Many moons ago a local fly shop owner and I stalked a rock for a solid 20 minutes on Evergreen Res. We thought we were bass fishing and were being very cautious as to not "spook it". The fact it never moved wasn't given consideration. "We Good" as they say.
Some insight was gained out of the experience.
You can't spook a rock.

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
Put six and a half miles on the boots today. Speaking of six, the word seems to be out as there were two groups of three anglers in the same area. After giving them plenty of room at first , I ended up working the same water with one group and trading stories and frustrations. Good guys, and hi Stewart if you’re on here.

Put one in the net, a little cruiser. Lost a nice one at the net when I got impatient, which was the end of a nice stalk up on a tailing fish. Only cast to two branches and three rocks, but boy I put quite the stalk on those guys.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Only cast to two branches and three rocks, but boy I put quite the stalk on those guys.
Friday I cast to this carp's back I could clearly see the gold color shimmering in the sunny chop. After three casts with the last one an inadvertent splat right on top of the shimmering gold I figured out I was casting to a rock. Carp rock. Sometimes it's a carp rock shadow.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I cast to three fish the other day: Spooked the first, couldn't interest the second, and couldn't snag the 3rd.