Canyon Creek

Xoxo

When you you say not small does that mean wide and deep? Can I wet wade this or is it too deep? Sorry I’m still learning appropriate vocabulary. Looking for shallow water with trout.
I think Canyon Creek would not disappoint you. Might be a bit cold to wet wade now though. But I’m a weenie.

5EB5324B-E24B-4C32-80D7-C1E2BBB7C115.jpeg

Last edited:

tatross

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Well, I am learning more!
I was not aware of Canyon creek up in the Mount Baker, Nooksack drainage. Thank you JoJo for clearing that up. Also, that looks very much like the canyon creek drainage a bit bit further southeast off off highway 20.

k

Xoxo

I think it qualifies as skinny water? I’m wondering if @Old Man knows Canyon Creek. He knows every little blue line in the state!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Oh it would help if I wasn't confusing Mt baker with Mt Jefferson. It's in Washington not Oregon, my bad I was just assuming Oregon because your last post was about fishing places near portland.

You’re honestly not far off. There’s a canyon creek CLOSE to Jefferson, it runs off the south east flank of three fingered Jack, but I believe it’s closed year round for bull trout spawning habitat.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
You’re honestly not far off. There’s a canyon creek CLOSE to Jefferson, it runs off the south east flank of three fingered Jack, but I believe it’s closed year round for bull trout spawning habitat.

Yes, this particular "Canyon Creek" in Oregon empties into the Metolius and is closed year round!!!

Cheers

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Anyone know where I can find Curtis Creek? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Good luck @Tom.S in your searches. I'm a bit surprised Jim (@Old Man) hasn't chimed in about the blue lines.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
There are many Canyon Creeks in Oregon. There’s one on my favorite upper river reaches.

dirty dog

Steelhead
When I first moved here to Southern OR I got a map and started looking for the blue lines within 30 miles from home then I checked to OR fishing regs and found that most of those little blue lines were closed to fishing "spawning habit".
I'm OK with that, cause there is plenty of open water to fish.
But I gotta tell ya I sure miss RF in the dead of winter.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Looks like Jojo has set you up. Canyon Creek is accessed off the Mt Baker highway via a Forest Service road. Canyon Creek can carry some glacial till color in the water, so be aware of that. The main fish species in the creek (afaik) is bull trout, with juvenile steelhead being the rest.

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter
Looks like Jojo has set you up. Canyon Creek is accessed off the Mt Baker highway via a Forest Service road. Canyon Creek can carry some glacial till color in the water, so be aware of that. The main fish species in the creek (afaik) is bull trout, with juvenile steelhead being the rest.
I heard from someone that Canyon Creek has one of the only populations of dolly vardens in Washington state. There are quite a few of the little guys up there though.

1663959143875.jpeg

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When you you say not small does that mean wide and deep? Can I wet wade this or is it too deep? Sorry I’m still learning appropriate vocabulary. Looking for shallow water with trout.

It is able to be waded. In the lower reaches its flatter and wider. In the upper portions it's constricted with large boulders and canyons. There are stretches with gravel bars but it can be an athletic endeavour to get around in some sections. Also I'm observing it in higher water so it's a markedly different animal at that time. There are falls and pools in the upper reaches. It's boulder garden and canyon below there in the mid reach and quite docile in the lower stretch bearing the private development before it enters the North fork.