Can You Name This Invertebrate

Taxon

Steelhead
Forum Legend
I participate with two other fellow octagenarians in the monthly biotic survey of a local creek. As one might anticipate, we usually capture some mayfly nymphs, caddisfly larvae, damselfly nymphs, and a various other macroinvertebrates. Once they have been microscopically photographed, they get returned to the creek to further their life ambitions.

The last time we captured the macroinvertebrate pictured below, which was about 2.5 inches in length.

So, let's see if you can identify it by its common name.

IMG_20220130_105227(1).jpg

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Hi Taxon,
I love the challenges but I think that I won't jump in right away to give some of the others a chance to play. It would make a great monthly or more often contest.
I have my own interesting encounter with what I suspect is a nematomorph. In 2018, my wife and I did a month-long trip to Australia. As part of that, we did a 5-day guided trip for birds, kangaroos, and other wildlife through part of Queensland. Our guide specialized in night walks through through the rainforest to spot nocturnal marsupials and geckoes. On our first night walk, we encountered this chameleon gecko (Carphodactylus laevis) not far off the ground. It had what I strongly suspect was a nematomorph hanging out of its mouth and down its body. I don't know if the nematomorph emerged from the cricket or whatever was hosting it when the gecko grabbed the insect or if the gecko just saw the nematomorph moving on the litter and grabbed it. In any event, it looked like the nematomorph was putting up a strong fight to avoid being eaten.
ChaemeleonGeckoWithNematomorphP7252320.jpg

Steve

RCF

Life of the Party
@Taxon would you consider doing this monthly or even more often? Really cool👍

<snip>

I agree with @Billy it would be fun. I would never get one right but the amount I could learn would be wonderful!

Edited to add: I collected insects in my youth ---> Over 300 different ones. Turned my collection into my high school Biology class to help others. When my daughters were young we found insects in our yard. This helped them develop an interest and obtain Biology degrees - one with a cellular and molecular major. The more we know, the better we are...

Last edited:

Taxon

Steelhead
Forum Legend
Thanks Billy, would be happy to do so.

As to your wet wading comment, which was probably just meant in jest, you need not worry about horsehair worms, as they only parasitize insects. However wet wading with leeches present is not something I would do. ;)

Taxon

Steelhead
Forum Legend
I agree with @Billy it would be fun. I would never get one right but the amount I could learn would be wonderful!

Edited to add: I collected insects in my youth ---> Over 300 different ones. Turned my collection into my high school Biology class to help others. When my daughters were young we found insects in our yard. This helped them develop an interest and obtain Biology degrees - one with a cellular and molecular major. The more we know, the better we are...
Thanks, both for your encouragement, and for sharing the story of how your insect collecting led to your daughters choice of careers.

Reactions: RCF