Butane fuel

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For several years I have been using an Iwatani butane stove in my kitchen for everyday use. It sits on a glass cook top stove that hasn't been turned on in years. Beside it is a Duxtop induction plate and those are the only 2 burners I use. The Iwatani is also my stove of choice in the Casa as it takes up little room, ignites instantly and burns very hot. Although I cook on it almost every day I have noticed that a 12 pack case of butane canisters last me for over a year so the cost of fuel is a minor expense. But it can be expensive if you don't shop and buy them singly instead of by the case. They aren't always readily available when you are camping and can cost $5 to $7 when found.

Be advised that there are 2 types of cartridges-regular and non-explosive. This isn't to imply that the regular ones are going to explode but the non-explosive ones offer an extra layer of protection and are probably mandated in some situations. I have never used anything but the regular cartridges myself.

Checking on prices today (which have gone way up like everything else) I saw prices for a pack of 4 as high as $30 or $7.50 apiece and 12 pack prices at around $47 or $3.91 apiece. A lotta room there to make a shopping mistake! But I also found a 12 pack of the regular models for around $30 or about $2.50 apiece and a 12 pack of the non-explosive models for $3.00 apiece. As a hedge against future inflation and scarcity I ordered another case today although I have on unopened case in my shop. Should have enough to last for almost 3 years now.

Many cooking shows utilize Iwatani burners for their presentations, probably because they are rated as the best even though modestly priced. There are many many models of these stoves on the market and some ridiculously low priced. If you would like to cook with gas but it isn't available the butane stove is an excellent alternative to a glass cook top. Which everyone seems to hate as far as I can tell.

Everything seems to have a downside though and butane's weakness is that it doesn't do well in freezing temps. I was recently camped out in temps in the high teens and my approach was the same as it was back in the '60's when I backpacked with a butane stove-the cartridge spent the night in the sleeping bag with me.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
For several years I have been using an Iwatani butane stove in my kitchen for everyday use. It sits on a glass cook top stove that hasn't been turned on in years. Beside it is a Duxtop induction plate and those are the only 2 burners I use. The Iwatani is also my stove of choice in the Casa as it takes up little room, ignites instantly and burns very hot. Although I cook on it almost every day I have noticed that a 12 pack case of butane canisters last me for over a year so the cost of fuel is a minor expense. But it can be expensive if you don't shop and buy them singly instead of by the case. They aren't always readily available when you are camping and can cost $5 to $7 when found.

Be advised that there are 2 types of cartridges-regular and non-explosive. This isn't to imply that the regular ones are going to explode but the non-explosive ones offer an extra layer of protection and are probably mandated in some situations. I have never used anything but the regular cartridges myself.

Checking on prices today (which have gone way up like everything else) I saw prices for a pack of 4 as high as $30 or $7.50 apiece and 12 pack prices at around $47 or $3.91 apiece. A lotta room there to make a shopping mistake! But I also found a 12 pack of the regular models for around $30 or about $2.50 apiece and a 12 pack of the non-explosive models for $3.00 apiece. As a hedge against future inflation and scarcity I ordered another case today although I have on unopened case in my shop. Should have enough to last for almost 3 years now.

Many cooking shows utilize Iwatani burners for their presentations, probably because they are rated as the best even though modestly priced. There are many many models of these stoves on the market and some ridiculously low priced. If you would like to cook with gas but it isn't available the butane stove is an excellent alternative to a glass cook top. Which everyone seems to hate as far as I can tell.

Everything seems to have a downside though and butane's weakness is that it doesn't do well in freezing temps. I was recently camped out in temps in the high teens and my approach was the same as it was back in the '60's when I backpacked with a butane stove-the cartridge spent the night in the sleeping bag with me.
I bought one of these stoves after reading your praises of it on the old site and am very happy with it! It sure is a lot lighter and smaller than my 2-burner Camp Chef Explorer with 20lb propane tank for car camping!

Here's the one I bought:

Amazon product ASIN B00522F2R2

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Ive I’m another convert to these little stoves after reading your reviews. I use it regularly. I’m currently in need of another case of fuel so I best get shopping.

candr

Steelhead
I have found the Asian grocery stores in my area will have the best price for 12 packs of butane. I refill my isobutane canisters for backpacking and for the stoves I use in my van from the butane cylinders. Haven't purchased since last summer but usually pay around $15 for a 12pack at 99 Ranch Market in Edmonds (Hwy 99).

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Set-up time on these little catering stoves is remarkable. My Joy Cook is a different brand from Ive's, but functionally the same. It comes in a plastic carrying case. I timed setting it up last summer. From setting the case on the table to burning flame was well under 20 seconds. You can find them at Asian grocers and all over the internet from about 20 bucks on up. The lock-in butane canisters are about the size of a can of hair spray.

Reactions: Zak

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How to identify the explosion proof CRV cartridges vs. normal cartridges.
CRV_Butane_Gas_Stove%20(1)-700x700.JPG

From what I've read, the main cause of exploding cartridges is using too large of a pan which deflects the heat/flame towards the canister.

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Exactly right Dean. Not everyone has the aptitude to notice that putting a big pot on a little stove is going to push heat out the sides. And of course when it explodes they blame the stove.

The latest case I ordered are the explosion proof models that I will use for cooking and use the regular models in my Kovea Cupid butane heater, there they have little chance of overheating.

Some things should be self evident i.e. - you don't tow a horse trailer with a Prius nor do you heat a lobster pot or turkey cooker with a tiny stove.

Islander

Life of the Party
Been thinking about getting one of those stoves after seeing yours Ive. Are the canisters refillable or do you just have to trash them after one use?