Bug ID

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Found this relatively large mayfly last fall. Found another one the other day. Picked that one up but I saw a spider on it...I don't like spiders so I freaked out and threw it. I have not seen them flying, only found them crawling on rocks. Probably about 10-12mm long (sz. 12 -10). I'm thinking Drunella, but not sure, and no clue on the species. Not a great picture, but thought maybe somebody might know (or be interested in trying to figure it out).
20210917_152619.jpg

Here is a fly I came up with to represent it. I think I need to make the body a little longer and fatter.
DSC_0287 - edit 1 (1).jpg
DSC_0288 - edit 1 (1).jpg
DSC_0289 - edit 1 (1).jpg

tkww

Steelhead
I know, right?! I originally had the parachute post much taller, but thought that it was going to make it too top-heavy and make the fly not land correctly.
What hook is that? It seems like you'll have enough mass to right it.

I realize that wing height is probably a bigger factor in how it is appears through the surface film, but it does occur to me that you could get away with a couple less turns of hackle (i.e., cover up less of the wing) since you also have the foam body to help with flotation. Though with rough water I can appreciate the inclination to hackle the hell out of it.

I'm not that knowledgeable on the bug front but some googling makes me think it's drunnela doddsii. The other thing that struck me after looking at a bunch of images was the propensity for a light color (usually yellowish) between the segments. Wondering if you could maybe rib it with yellow thread, following along the trailing edge of the foam wraps? I'm hesitant to add thread where it would be exposed to teeth, but wire thick enough to stand out would just be a bunch of weight. 🤷‍♂️ (And please don't take that as criticism--you ties are great (as is the photography!))
They probably have to be to carry that big fat ass around!
Yeah that is one thicc body.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What hook is that? It seems like you'll have enough mass to right it.

I realize that wing height is probably a bigger factor in how it is appears through the surface film, but it does occur to me that you could get away with a couple less turns of hackle (i.e., cover up less of the wing) since you also have the foam body to help with flotation. Though with rough water I can appreciate the inclination to hackle the hell out of it.

I'm not that knowledgeable on the bug front but some googling makes me think it's drunnela doddsii. The other thing that struck me after looking at a bunch of images was the propensity for a light color (usually yellowish) between the segments. Wondering if you could maybe rib it with yellow thread, following along the trailing edge of the foam wraps? I'm hesitant to add thread where it would be exposed to teeth, but wire thick enough to stand out would just be a bunch of weight. 🤷‍♂️ (And please don't take that as criticism--you ties are great (as is the photography!))

Yeah that is one thicc body.

Hook is a U201 from Umpqua Feather Merchants (sz. 12). Kind of like a scud hook but a little flatter towards the eye. It's my go to hook for these extended body foam flies.

The river I am fishing is higher gradient, and most of the fish sit in/near roiling water. Extra hackle is not for looks, but for fishability/floatability.

I did notice the yellow Ribbing (and Thorax area near the wings) on the natural, and was thinking about doing a thread rib. I didn't have much time to tie though so I went bare bones. On my next one for sure! I always think about stuff like that, and the possibility that is what the fish are keying in on, or that it could make the fish notice the fly more! Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it!

Taxon

Steelhead
Forum Legend
Hi James-

You got the family (Ephemerellidae) right, but rather than being of genus Drunella, I believe this female subimago to be of genus Eurylophella. Did it come from WA? If so, it is probably Eurylophella lodi, the only Eurylophella species which has been reported (in a scientific paper) to be present in WA. If not, what state did it come from?

Last edited:

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hi James-

You got the family (Ephemerellidae) right, but rather than being of genus Drunella, I believe this female subimago to be of genus Eurylophella. Did it come from WA? If so, it is probably Eurylophella lodi, the only Eurylophella species which has been reported (in a scientific paper) to be present in WA. If not, what state did it come from?
Taxon, thank you for the response. Yes, this bug is from central Washington.

I spent some time with my old Merritt/Cummins Introduction to the aquatic insects of North America. Can I ask why Eurylophella and not Drunella? Is it that little thing (some kind of gill remnant) hanging off the third abdominal segment in the picture?

Taxon

Steelhead
Forum Legend
Can I ask why Eurylophella and not Drunella? Is it that little thing (some kind of gill remnant) hanging off the third abdominal segment in the picture?
Unlike any other North American Ephemerellids, the ninth abdominal segment of Eurylophella species are about twice as long their ninth abdominal segment.

Last edited:

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think it's probably Drunella grandis, although I did give some thought to Timpanoga hecuba as well.

http://soft-hacklejournal.blogspot.com/2019/08/softhackle-journal-august-2019.html

I realize that color doesn't always mean everything, but this same river does get a decent "Green Drake" (Drunella grandis) hatch in June/July, depending on year. The bug pictured above was found in October last year, and much higher up on the system September this year. Would that change your opinion, or would you still stick with D. grandis?

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
I don't really know if all Drunella grandis hatch at a single time in the year, or if there are one major and a minor hatch. I'm going more by general shape and coloring. I can't really discount Taxon's guess either because the ninth abdominal segment appears to be larger than the eighth. But all the Eurylophella lodi specimens I have seen, both photographs and ones I've caught personally have been more orange in color. All told I'd stay with D. grandis until somebody came up with something better.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If I were to run into one of these buga again, lets say next week, is there a photo of any specific part of the bug that would help with ID?

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
If I were to run into one of these buga again, lets say next week, is there a photo of any specific part of the bug that would help with ID?
If it's a male the genitalia would help with an ID. Also another photo of the 8th and 9th abdominal segments (either sex). Otherwise just good overall shots.
Is this a katydid? Just rescued it from under the tire of the car. Location is Dallas-ish, about 2.5" long
View attachment 32588
Sure is.

Hobbyranch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Found this relatively large mayfly last fall. Found another one the other day. Picked that one up but I saw a spider on it...I don't like spiders so I freaked out and threw it. I have not seen them flying, only found them crawling on rocks. Probably about 10-12mm long (sz. 12 -10). I'm thinking Drunella, but not sure, and no clue on the species. Not a great picture, but thought maybe somebody might know (or be interested in trying to figure it out).
View attachment 32232

Here is a fly I came up with to represent it. I think I need to make the body a little longer and fatter.
View attachment 32233
View attachment 32234
View attachment 32238
Awesome fly, great work!