Bucktail

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yeah, he pulled up behind the UPS truck (one way street) and made some sort of delivery. Either following the truck or just a crime of opportunity. Lots of porches in my college neighborhood have packages sitting on them for days sometimes, so I think this dude yolo'd it and decided he isn't cool enough to for bucktail.
If he was legit making a delivery to your neighbor, it should be possible to figure out who he was. But it could have been a fake delivery as a cover for nabbing what the UPS person was dropping. Grrr, glad you got it.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
that's fucking bullshit.

I really hate thieves...

for bucktail, I just ordered 1 grade-1 Ellis Ward tail along with 1 grade-2 tail. Will report back. Not cheap, so I'm starting small....

patrick1

Smolt
that's fucking bullshit.

I really hate thieves...

for bucktail, I just ordered 1 grade-1 Ellis Ward tail along with 1 grade-2 tail. Will report back. Not cheap, so I'm starting small....
I was trying to snake a borescope into our dryer vent because there is something wrong in there (we just bought a condo) and was getting frustrated with the process. Seeing some dude try and steal my stuff instantly diverted my attention and frustration.
If he was legit making a delivery to your neighbor, it should be possible to figure out who he was. But it could have been a fake delivery as a cover for nabbing what the UPS person was dropping. Grrr, glad you got it.
I thought about that too. There was actually another car in front of the UPS truck making a delivery. Paranoia set in, but now I know I need to be prompt with getting stuff at my door.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Just to update on my recent Ellis Ward order. I just ordered 2, one of the premium grade and one of the grade 2.

white is grade 1, purple is grade 2. outstanding softness and quality (a sign that they were very well washed during the process). white fibers are mostly 5"+ and purple are 4-5". Even though they're slightly different sized tails, they both have similar amount of total fibers (purple is super dense).

e1sEoav.jpg

SeLSTHt.jpg

harvesttrout

Freshly Spawned
I have been dyeing bucktail and buying in bulk recently since Nature's Spirit does not have any tails. Processing plants and tanneries have been short staffed and pieces like tails are just being discarded. The good stuff comes from Pennsylvania apparently and the season of harvest has a lot to do with the quality of hair. I just placed and order for 100 tails, but unfortunately I have to go through and grade them individually and dye them. The tails usually purchased at shops and most tails for fly tying for that matter are from whitetail deer. If i have longer hair tails (5 inch +) i can set them aside if anyone is interested.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have been dyeing bucktail and buying in bulk recently since Nature's Spirit does not have any tails. Processing plants and tanneries have been short staffed and pieces like tails are just being discarded. The good stuff comes from Pennsylvania apparently and the season of harvest has a lot to do with the quality of hair. I just placed and order for 100 tails, but unfortunately I have to go through and grade them individually and dye them. The tails usually purchased at shops and most tails for fly tying for that matter are from whitetail deer. If i have longer hair tails (5 inch +) i can set them aside if anyone is interested.
I’d be very interested
Thanks