Bucket List Check off – Golden Trout

Recently in my fly fishing adventures, I have been focusing on trying to catch different type of species on the fly. Most of the common trout and warm water species have been marked off of my species bucket list. This year’s target was a Golden Trout.

As most of you know, Golden Trout are not the easiest trout to target as they reside in high altitude, not so easy to get to alpine lakes or creeks. To catch a Golden Trout, hiking or backpacking is part of the adventure. I wanted an opportunity to go catch a few Golden Trout, but without going too extreme in the hiking/backpacking portion. After a little research, what better place to catch a Golden Trout than the Golden Trout Wilderness in the Eastern Sierra’s. The Cottonwood Lakes Basin seemed like a logical choice. Beautiful area, not a killer hike in with regards to distance, only a 6.5-mile to backpack in, but at over 10k altitude, this wasn’t going to be a quick little hike in and out.

1662518952319.jpeg

Luckily, I had a willing partner in my youngest 22-year-old daughter, who isn’t a fisherman but loves to hike and backpack, so I convinced her to join me on this adventure. She agreed to join me if I come along with her to do some more hiking around the Mammoth Lakes area after our Cottonwood Lakes journey. I agreed and glad that I did. We hiked to and passed a lot of lakes that were specular in the Mammoth Lake area. I didn’t fish any those lakes, but the hikes alone were beautiful. Maybe next year we return and I will bring the fly rod to try some of those many lakes around that area that has plenty of Brookies and some Rainbows supposedly.

But back on topic – we left from Portland to Reno and then onto Lone Pine, CA before making the drive up to the Cottonwood Basin trailhead. The altitude gain from Lone Pine to the trailhead was crazy. When we left Lone Pine it was 103 degrees. About 40 minutes later and 22 miles up and 7000 feet of elevation gain – it was 72 degrees. Most extreme temperature change in a short amount of time that I have ever experienced.

The 6.5 miles with a 35-pound pack hike wasn’t my biggest concern – the altitude was. To help get acclimated we made the decision to camp at the trailhead the night before. Next day we were packed up and on the trail by 7:30 AM. Did the hike, ate lunch, and set up camp by 1:00.

1662519418951.jpeg

1662519633841.jpeg

1662519461953.jpeg

So according to plan, this afternoon was my primary target time to go fishing – but in the wilderness, those plans can change in a heartbeat. Thunderstorms kept me from fishing for several hours. The bigger issue was that I underestimated the effort it would take to make the hike up and I was totally exhausted and the altitude was getting to me. In all, I was only able to fish a couple of hours, it was extremely windy during those hours and I went fishless. Not a lot of fishing rising on the lake and it was difficult to see any rises or fish due to the wind. I was fishing a floating line, first stripping some weighted nymphs, then threw on a bobber to see if could get something with a snow cone down deep. Nothing. Went to bed early that evening exhausted and a bit frustrated thinking I made this long drive and tough hike and not be able to catch my Golden Trout.

Next Morning, I wake up at sunrise to these amazing views:

1662519811525.jpeg

1662519831160.jpeg

1662519842326.jpeg

That morning, the lake was glass and Golden Trout were rising everywhere, to what I had no ideal as I couldn’t see anything on the water. I tried multiple dry patterns that typically work for most alpine lakes, nothing. Two more hours pass and now I am not only getting frustrated – but concerned as we need to start thinking about packing up heading out. Shit, I traveled along way and hiked a lot just to get up here just to get skunked.

Luckily for me the wind came back up and sent the fish back down, forcing me to change my strategy and try something different. That is when I switched out my floater for my sink tip to get down to where I think the fish are now at. Threw on a good old Copper John and on my third cast, I struck Gold. My first ever Golden Trout.

1662520001913.jpeg

Three cast later – Golden #2 (sorry for fish on the grass – my net wasn’t within reach – my bad).

1662520046512.jpeg

SUCCESS! Just in time, we had to start thinking about packing up and heading back down. Went from being rather frustrated to almost euphoria. I have never been so happy to catch a couple of 10-inch trout 😊 and knowing that if I was able to stay, I think I could have caught a lot more, I just figured things out.

So down the Mountain we go, with a smile on my face and many more great hikes with my daughter in the days to come.

Great trip. Next up Lake Trout or Splake on a fly!

Peach

Last edited:

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
Nice goldens! Note, the temperature change is pretty darn accurate, about 2 degrees C for every 1,000’ in elevation change under dry conditions.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Next Morning, I wake up at Sunset to these amazing views:
Dang, you really were pooped out!
J/k
Excellent report and pics. Thank you for sharing! I’m glad you met your golden goal.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Wow, that is so cool! Great scenery and being able to catch a golden on such an amazing trip makes it all worth while. And you got to bring you daughter!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
That is so awesome. Goldens in their native range are 100% a bucket list item for me too. Great photos, great story.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Congrats!

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
Dang, you really were pooped out!
J/k
Excellent report and pics. Thank you for sharing! I’m glad you met your golden goal.
Ha - great catch. I always have some kind of error in my long ass reports. Edit made :).

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
Oh man, I was hoping to make it up there this summer but work BS intervened. Great report, makes me motivated to make it happen next year!

Islander

Life of the Party
What a fabulous trip! Brings back memories, I use to spend a lot of time hiking, backpacking and fishing the eastern Sierras in the late 70’s early 80’s.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
A great and inspirational report! I recently began thinking about fishing for Goldens in their native range, either stream or lake. Hopefully next summer. The altitude in the Sierras really gets to me and makes me really, really slow. But the scenery is so incredible that it's worth it.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A great and inspirational report! I recently began thinking about fishing for Goldens in their native range, either stream or lake. Hopefully next summer. The altitude in the Sierras really gets to me and makes me really, really slow. But the scenery is so incredible that it's worth it.
You don’t have to go as high as the OP to find GT. There are streams at 7000’ or less that have them but not a big secret; I’m not putting that on a public forum.
You know how to reach me 🤫

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Thanks for sharing. Glad you got to spend some quality time with your daughter and you were able to successfully complete your quest.