Bread Thread

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
It was ok. Finding out I am not crazy about Einkhorn although the 50/50 was better than the straight Einkhorn.
Fair enough. If you get to the point where you don't want to use it, let me know and we can do a flour swap because I have too many different ones.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
It's been too hot to bake for a while, but cooler temps, especially night time told me it was time to get back at it. 2 loaves of olive and Mama Lil's pepper sourdough.
IMG20220925114122.jpgIMG20220925184929.jpg

Dough is 25% whole wheat and 78% hydration, excluding the olives and peppers.

What have y'all been baking?

Canvsbk

Steelhead
I use King Arthur’s hearth bread recipe. Love the taste but would like the bread to be heavier. Any suggestions?
thanks

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I just restarted baking again, now that the heat of the summer is mostly past.

I've been looking for a recipe for white bread (I'm not partial to sourdough) that produces a dough firm enough to yield sandwich-sized loafs without the need for a loaf pan and has a thick, crunchy crust.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter

I've been looking for a recipe for white bread (I'm not partial to sourdough) that produces a dough firm enough to yield sandwich-sized loafs without the need for a loaf pan and has a thick, crunchy crust.

Any suggestions?
You'll get some good responses here I am sure. I think King Arthur has good recipies: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/bread

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

Any suggestions?
No knead bread?
IMG_1687.jpg
I'm very much an amatuer when it comes to baking. I mixed the dough for the loaf pictured:
3 cups King Arthur bread flour
1 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon active yeast (dissolved in warm water)
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoon sugar
there's the basic no knead white bread

This loaf also had
fresh sliced garlic, fresh chopped rosemary, fresh chopped thyme and some sheep milk cheese

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter

Any suggestions?

Either of these should turn out what you are looking for.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
More dense.
You could include some whole grain from grains lower in protein (rye, spelt, Teff, khorasan, etc). The addition of these won't allow the crumb to open up quite as much and be heavier with the extra fiber.

Canvsbk

Steelhead
You could include some whole grain from grains lower in protein (rye, spelt, Teff, khorasan, etc). The addition of these won't allow the crumb to open up quite as much and be heavier with the extra fiber.
Thanks for the response. A couple of batches ago I tried a 50/50 mixture of whole wheat and regular bread flour. It certainly had the “ heft “ to it but we didn’t like the taste as much. Still very good but not the best.
I think I’ve gotten spoiled baking bread - the worst I ever made was WAY better than anything store bought. You folks convinced me it was possible and I thank you all!,