Brand New to Fly Tying

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter

This is from Al Cambell, a legend.

Great fly tying tutorial, beginner thru advanced. Worth a look...

Stacey

Smolt
There are flies tied to catch fish and flies tied to catch fisher persons.
If yer gonna tie to catch fish, keep it simple.
That's good advice! I suspect I'm more of a "flies that catch fish" kinda person - though there are certainly some gorgeous "flies as works of art" out there too.

Stacey

Smolt
@Stacey - at risk of @Josh kicking me off the forum, I'm tempted to call you out on "your first fly" ;-) Amazingly well done. I've been tying flies for probably 45 years now, I doubt I could tie a nicer looking reverse spider. Please share more pics of your ties. (And welcome to the forum!)
Thanks, that's very kind. I was happy with it until the very end - I botched the whip finish, so I'm not sure how well it would hold up to actual use. I learned a lot making it though!

Stacey

Smolt
Thank you so much for all the info! I'll see if I can track down some of those books :)
Stacey that is a very nice spider in anyone's book!

If you are really going to get serious then some reference materials are a good thing. Wet flies by David Hughes is a very good source and wet flies are fun to tie and they catch a lot of fish. You will pickup a lot of basic skills with wet flies. You will also learn that less material on a fly is actually more. Too many flies are seriously overdressed.

Then make a big jump to Atlantic Salmon and Steelhead flies. They are complicated and challenging but very fun to tie. John Sheweys book Steelhead flies is what you want. You will learn so many techniques and you are more than capable. All of Johns books as well as Hughes books are well worth the time and effort to read.

You could tie 10 or so flies in an hour or maybe tie one absolutely beautiful salmon fly in and hour or so and then mount and frame it waiting for your next one. These are historic and the backstory is interesting to say the least. You have the English, Scotch ad Irish fancies and the rivers certain styles were developed for. There are Dee flies and spey flies and yes they are different. The history of the fly is what makes fly fishing so unique in its own right.

Dave

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Welcome @ Stacey!

When I was in grad school many, many years ago, I took a fly tying class at the local fly shop and the book that was recommended to us was, Fly Tying: Adventures-Fur-Feathers by John McKim.

Look forward to seeing posts of your flies and your progress as a fly tyer. I personally do not tie at the moment and am hoping to get back in it, but I do enjoy seeing the flies that other forum members have tied.

I think it's cool that you enjoy going fishing with @Josh and for the reasons that you mentioned.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Hi stacey! My name is Ben, I've fished with @Josh a few times and can say that your spider will fish at least as well as he does, probably better! Hahaha

I also started tying recently, about a year ago. I've stayed relatively simple so far, but have really enjoyed tying marabou spey flies recently. They are very pretty and you can make really cool flies with a few simple materials techniques. I actually made them into earrings for christmas presents for my partners and daughters which they really loved!

Also steelhead allegedly (and bull trout definitely) like to eat them.

20230103_201034.jpg20221220_170834.jpg

Stacey

Smolt
Hi stacey! My name is Ben, I've fished with @Josh a few times and can say that your spider will fish at least as well as he does, probably better! Hahaha
Hi Ben! Nice to "meet" you :)
I also started tying recently, about a year ago. I've stayed relatively simple so far, but have really enjoyed tying marabou spey flies recently. They are very pretty and you can make really cool flies with a few simple materials techniques. I actually made them into earrings for christmas presents for my partners and daughters which they really loved!
That's a gorgeous fly & I LOVE the earrings! I might need to make a pair for myself (once I get a little better at tying).

Hello Stacey and I also would like to welcome you to the forum. What has not been mentioned here is the idea of watching videos of folks tying on You Tube. There is a fellow Davie McPhail who is amazing in his skill set and also the access is free in relation to buying books. I realize that in some posts I have suggested books and one author I applaud ...IS... Dave Hughes as he is both an incredible fly tier as well as a very nice human being. That 50 flies book is great. Also check Davie McPhail and see any files from the onset of the images in the summary of the video and see if you like it. He has so many that it will be overwhelming and its free. He is truly a very good tier and he does a good job on the flies. You have some excellent skills in tying and I applaud your interest and also your character in sharing time with Josh in fly fishing. Wish I could have that success in interesting my wife in fly fishing. She thinks I am a little touched in how much of interest I have in this sport. You will continue to succeed with that baseline and also the shared interest facet. Keep up on the sharing and enjoy the time together and the sport.

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter

Also steelhead allegedly (and bull trout definitely) like to eat them.

View attachment 51233View attachment 51234
Next fall, get some clear glass ornament balls, and put flies inside them.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That’s a great first fly Stacey.
My first fly was 35+ years ago and I named “Awful”, and not in name only. I didn’t become what I would call proficient until a very good flytier said have a plan to tie at least 6 flies of the same tie each time you sit down.
Hand eye coordination improves along with muscle memory. Based on your spider you’re well on the way already.
Have fun……and uh…..try not to get competitive with you know who. Harmony.., it’s all about harmony.

EmergingFisher

Life of the Party
Fantastic first fly. As mentioned, the classics are a good start (gold ribbed hares ear, pheasant tail nymph, wooly bugger, zebra midge). Definitely look for books. You’ll see techniques broken down and I just like looking through for different things to tie.

There are great YouTube videos/channels as well. Davie McPhail is a master; Tim Flagler produces really good, easy to follow, instructional videos, great for beginners; Charlie Craven also gives great, detailed instruction.

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin I was fishin
That'a a pretty nice reverse spider. I remember I had to buy a VHS tape (Hooked on Fly Tying?) that had instructions on how to tie it. Maybe it was Mike Kinny on the video, I don't remember. I've tied about a thousand of them now. My favorite searun streamer.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
That'a a pretty nice reverse spider. I remember I had to buy a VHS tape (Hooked on Fly Tying?) that had instructions on how to tie it. Maybe it was Mike Kinny on the video, I don't remember. I've tied about a thousand of them now. My favorite searun streamer.

It better have been Mike!

Also my fav as well!

Stacey

Smolt
Hello Stacey and I also would like to welcome you to the forum. What has not been mentioned here is the idea of watching videos of folks tying on You Tube. There is a fellow Davie McPhail who is amazing in his skill set and also the access is free in relation to buying books. I realize that in some posts I have suggested books and one author I applaud ...IS... Dave Hughes as he is both an incredible fly tier as well as a very nice human being. That 50 flies book is great. Also check Davie McPhail and see any files from the onset of the images in the summary of the video and see if you like it. He has so many that it will be overwhelming and its free. He is truly a very good tier and he does a good job on the flies. You have some excellent skills in tying and I applaud your interest and also your character in sharing time with Josh in fly fishing. Wish I could have that success in interesting my wife in fly fishing. She thinks I am a little touched in how much of interest I have in this sport. You will continue to succeed with that baseline and also the shared interest facet. Keep up on the sharing and enjoy the time together and the sport.
Thank you! I've definitely started down the rabbit hole of fly tying videos. There's so much good (and not so good) stuff out there it's a bit overwhelming. I'll look for Davie McPhail's videos.