Bonk!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They do exist.

I won't do a poll, but just a fun question so everyone play nice.

This fish was caught today in a western Washington stream. I'll give you 3 different looks of the same fish.
Other possible useful info- Fish was 28" long and a bit gangly, but she pulled from a relatively short to medium cast all the way to about 30 yards into my backing. Very respectable for a skinny fish.

Summer or Winter fish?

First steelhead on the 12'6" Allen Olympic setup since picking it up from nice guy @Jeff Dodd back in July.

20221128_094612.jpg

GOPR0064_1669698101975.jpg

20221128_103014.jpg

One more question...does anyone know what this fly pattern is called? I love the fly. Glad it grabbed this fish. I was starting to lose some confidence in it, but now it's back.

Had some fog, sun, rain and snow today. And some wind at one point that put some big leaves in the water. It was a good day.

Thanks,
Stacy

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What kind of line are you running on that rod?
I'm running the line that came with the deal. It's a 500gr Rio Skagit Flight from back in the 2010s.
The rod is the 12'6" 7wt.
The Flight is longer than an OPST Commando head by 4 or 5 feet. I had a MOW T-11 5/5 on there since most of the runs weren't real deep.

With that light #2 fly on there it did great with normal snap t and double speys. I was even able to get in a couple decent single speys. The longer head on the Flight and only 5' of sinking tip helps that.

I'm assuming the Flight became some new model and guessing a bit shorter head length. I like it with the 5/5, 2.5' and floating tips. For 10' T-11 I like the Commando better.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Summer run, Bennet's Last Light. One of my favorite bugs.

Nice work!
Thanks for the confirmation. I'll make sure I always have some of those!

And yes, I agree with everyone. A summer fish most likely.
I thought the lack of red coloring and the white horizontal streaks on the tail so prevalent on fresh fish might make some people wonder. Another fly fisherman had caught a similar summer fish and he mentioned his was also not colored up much.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Looks like that fly wash developed locally;

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin I was fishin
If the egg skeins were small it's most likely a summer. If they were fully developed then it's a winter. I would think that most hatchery winter fish in the rivers now would be pretty fresh/bright looking.

Smalma

Life of the Party
skyriver -
How did it look when you cleaned it?

After years like this past summer/early fall with elevated stream temperatures it has not been uncommon to see summer steelhead absorbing their sex products in efforts to stay alive. As they went through that process they would look more and more like spawned out fish - thinning and re-brighting.

Curt

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
skyriver -
How did it look when you cleaned it?

After years like this past summer/early fall with elevated stream temperatures it has not been uncommon to see summer steelhead absorbing their sex products in efforts to stay alive. As they went through that process they would look more and more like spawned out fish - thinning and re-brighting.

Curt
Yeah Curt. I believe this was a typical June or July summer fish. 28" long. She had more eggs than I thought she would, but then again, she was probably a healthy 8 lbs back in the summer. By now, she was barely 7. The meat was good, but not much fat. I grilled it last night and not much fat oozing out like it would have in June. Tasted good though!

I assume these are Skamania strain fish? Also, how do they brighten up while in the river? Her stomach was empty.

Can't believe how hard she pulled, but like so many steelies even though she was barely 7 lbs she had the prop of a 10 pounder. I'm not complaining about that. (y)

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
They do exist.

I won't do a poll, but just a fun question so everyone play nice.

This fish was caught today in a western Washington stream. I'll give you 3 different looks of the same fish.
Other possible useful info- Fish was 28" long and a bit gangly, but she pulled from a relatively short to medium cast all the way to about 30 yards into my backing. Very respectable for a skinny fish.

Summer or Winter fish?

First steelhead on the 12'6" Allen Olympic setup since picking it up from nice guy @Jeff Dodd back in July.

View attachment 43213

View attachment 43214

View attachment 43215

One more question...does anyone know what this fly pattern is called? I love the fly. Glad it grabbed this fish. I was starting to lose some confidence in it, but now it's back.

Had some fog, sun, rain and snow today. And some wind at one point that put some big leaves in the water. It was a good day.

Thanks,
Stacy

Great photos, nice fly and really happy you got that rod onto the river Stacy!