Boat Information/Advice for Beginners

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I need to learn a lot before I even start thinking of shopping for a boat, and willing to bet I am not alone. You can read a lot of simple articles like the one I found HERE. However, I want to hear from those that have the experience here locally. I think understanding boating would make me a better passenger too.
The primary knowledge I am seeking is that of the powered river boat variety. @Salmo_g I loved that boat we were on where you were able to change from simple outboard to oars. I have no idea what kind of boat that was but it was great. I see the boats that the guides are using on the Cow and I know those are super pricey but I want to understand them from a boat mechanic point of view.

So I would love to hear your knowledge and advice. Some simple questions to get the ball rolling.

1. What are the biggest mistakes that you see rookies make when they are in the early stages of boat ownership?
2. What are the things that you have learned that you would tell someone "stay away from that"
3. Do you have any resources that can be added to this thread that would benefit a beginner.
4. Hull types
5. Motor types

RCF

Life of the Party
The two best days of owning a boat:

The day you buy it and the day you sell it. In between it is expensive...

Buying a boat is like buying a bag of Frito Lay's. Bet you can not have just one...

Last edited:

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I’ve seen so many boats end up like hot tubs and motor homes......they get used a lot when “new” but after awhile they get used less and less especially if they need work. We owned a Toyota Sunraider motor home for 33 years, just sold it last year even though we retired last June. It sat taking space in the driveway, cost for insurance and tabs. My .02

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I've had great luck with the boats I've owned. Not money pits and used the hell out of all of them. Modern outboard motors have come a very long ways and are extremely reliable machines.

@DanielOcean look in to the Clack Power Drifter.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This is cool to me What setup is this?
Clark-County-Today-Fishing-North-Fork-Lewis-River-01.jpg

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Have you rowed rivers much yet? If not I'd suggest starting with a raft. If you have some experience but not much go for an aluminum drifter. Learn how to read rivers. Lear when you need to make moves and how big the moves are. Learn the waters you want to run. One thing about jet boats is you have to be on step(planing) to have any control. That means stuff happens fast when you are going downstream. Then while you are out there you can observe what kind of boats other people are running and narrow your search down a bit.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was advised to stay away from flat bottom cause they can drift on turns? You all agree?

kerrys

Ignored Member
I was advised to stay away from flat bottom cause they can drift on turns? You all agree?
…and deep Vs are tippy. Also, a V hull can dig into a wave during a turn and cause a sudden lurch or broach. Every hull design has advantages and disadvantages. Some say a flat bottom can cause cavitation by trapping air under the boat and delivering that air to the motor. Likely more of an issue with jets than props. I tend to agree and think a modified V is a more efficient hull design for jets.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
For the Cowlitz, I wouldn’t recommend a Bayliner…..or a jet ski.
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
^This^

Although if I had to choose, I'd go with the Jetski...

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
This is cool to me What setup is this?
Clark-County-Today-Fishing-North-Fork-Lewis-River-01.jpg
I don't know much about rivers. I have taken a prop boat in the lower part of a river quite a bit. If go with something like that I'd put a mac's river runner on it. Keep the outboard unlocked so it can flip up. Also have an extra prop handy. If you do it long enough you're bound to clip something.